How North in St Lawrence can I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Guys: I was wondering … is there good diving in St Lawrence north of Quebec? Lower St. Lawrence is promoted to be good diving (Brockville area) but this has been a major historical shipping route so ships must have sunk further north too? I was wondering what kind of diving can be expected in St Lawrence where the river meets the ocean?

The St-Lawrence is not that wide at some place and it runs more from east to west. There are ships all over the place but most of them you need a boat to get to them. There are charters so you might want to investigate in those. There are some in brockville, kingston.

Just search shipwreck in the st-Lawrence. The viz is not that great and some places the current is fast but lots of history in the st Lawrence.

I think we are confusing two separate areas of the same waterway. If you look at Quebec you will see the same river draining into the Gulf of St Lawrence. Diving in the south (Brockville, Kingston) is always mentioned and is easy to find over the internet. I was curious about diving conditions north of Quebec (Beauport, Montmagny etc).

Dan's Dive Shop out of St. Catharines, Ontario uses it as their "classroom" for their technical program....

Dan's Dive Shop out of St. Catharines, Ontario uses it as their "classroom" for their technical program....

That's a long-ass drive from St. Catherine to St. Luce. Takes me 12 hours from my place and I am closer.

Excellent dive. Deepest 40 metres I have ever experienced. Simply a wonderfully historic site. There is an artificial reef in the vicinity too and on the way (kind of) some excellent cold-water critter diving (Les Escoumins)

Not trying to be a pain, but you ask a lot of questions about some pretty exotic and many out of the way places. Most of them a pain in the ass and expensive to get to. Do you ever get to dive them or is it just curiosity?

I have never read a posting about a dive you've made or place you recommend... seems odd.

That's a long-ass drive from St. Catherine to St. Luce. Takes me 12 hours from my place and I am closer.

Excellent dive. Deepest 40 metres I have ever experienced. Simply a wonderfully historic site. There is an artificial reef in the vicinity too and on the way (kind of) some excellent cold-water critter diving (Les Escoumins)

Not trying to be a pain, but you ask a lot of questions about some pretty exotic and many out of the way places. Most of them a pain in the ass and expensive to get to. Do you ever get to dive them or is it just curiosity?

I have never read a posting about a dive you've made or place you recommend... seems odd.

What kind of vis can you expect outside the wreck? I wanted to do some photography but I was told that the vis is so bad that it is not even worth taking a camera down there. I did google search and lack of pictures of the actual wreck seemed to confirm that notion.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 04:20 PM ----------

Those are the places about which I write proposals and send out for sponsorships. In the past I have been fortunate to have some of my diving fully funded by sponsors. I did documentaries on U-352, Spiegel Grove and Civil War wreck (Benwood) and City of Washington that were fully sponsored.

I also did TV news feature on the ruins of an underwater town in Lake Lanier Georgia. This was partially funded. Out of a hundred crazy dives that I research into, one gets the initial interest from a sponsor and out of a hundred places that get the initial interest, one eventually gets done.

So yes. That is the story behind a lot of my posts :D

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 05:10 PM ----------

Here is a documentary I did on U-352. The interview with George Purifoy (the skipper who discovered U-352) was his last media appearance. This documentary won gold medal from the US government and has been translated in many languages for international broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llNtAgLDM-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISq74yqEdlQ

Here is the most recent project that sprang off of scubaboard. All these guys are from scubaboard and there was a thread on it somewhere. This television feature was translated into many languages and there are many versions of this available over the internet in Mandarin, Russian etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSYx0XmEwYc

As you guys can see from the above, my sponsors are not interested in sending me to vacation destinations or resorts. If I go to my boss and ask him to send me to Cocoview resort then he will tell me to get lost!:viking2: They want a television story that would generate an audience as well as a third party that could sponsor the whole thing. It would either have to be historical or scientific or conservational etc. By the end of the day they want to see that I have put in some "work."

I hope this provides a context.

I think we are confusing two separate areas of the same waterway. If you look at Quebec you will see the same river draining into the Gulf of St Lawrence. Diving in the south (Brockville, Kingston) is always mentioned and is easy to find over the internet. I was curious about diving conditions north of Quebec (Beauport, Montmagny etc).

No problem. WE do not go diving toward Quebec, its more from Cardinal ontario going towards Toronto. As I mentioned Kingston got a lot of wrecks and its closer for me anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom