Law of thirds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could you tell me if the law of thirds (two imaginary horizontal and two vertical lines) is so important, why my Nikon D7100 have a grid of three horizontal and three vertical lines? I know that we used it as a guideline but I'm just curious why Nikon took this way ;-)

"Envoyé depuis mon SM-T310 avec Tapatalk"

From wikipedia "aligning a subject with these points creates more tension, energy and interest in the composition than simply centering the subject would" and about Nikon, see here I don't use the grid on my Nikon but apparently it's not for the rule of thirds either.

The grid is there for doing things like architectural and landscape photography and getting the horizon level and buildings rectangular.

The rule of thirds does not need to be applied absolutely precisely, so no grid is required.

BTW, it's generally referred to as "rule of thirds", not "law".

Chuck

The notion is that people find subjects more compelling and interesting if off set from the center usually at one of the 4 intersection points in the rule of thirds.

There are plenty of articles on the web about this with illustrations proving the point. You can google it and read a few. You could take your camera and do some shots following the rule of thirds and centering some.

Just remember it it is a guideline and not a hard and fast rule. There are plenty of circumstances where other factors prevail.

3 lines and not 2? Makes it a little difficult to do the thirds thing.

Sounds like some one in marketing screwed up. 3 is %50 better than 2! So let's have 3!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom