Attracting sharks on dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R-balljunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i see some posts and adverts for shark feeding excursions. im not too sure that im keen on this. i dont want to debate the merits or moralities of doing so. just wanted to talk about different tricks and tips that others do.

we do the crinkle the empty water bottle thing when we dive. at first, no sharks...a few minutes later, dozens of sharks appear out of the blue.

are there any other tricks that folks do to attract sharks?

Solomon Islanders and i think Tongans bang a couple of coconut shells together - if you have a handy coconut give it a go.

Did a shark drift dive once in Nassau. DM had a pop bottle with a sports top on it -- the bottle was filled with chum and water. One squeeze and we had SHARKS! Got some great pictures!

Pork chop on a string tied to the noob's tank.

Ahh, the good old days.

i see some posts and adverts for shark feeding excursions. im not too sure that im keen on this. i dont want to debate the merits or moralities of doing so. just wanted to talk about different tricks and tips that others do.

we do the crinkle the empty water bottle thing when we dive. at first, no sharks...a few minutes later, dozens of sharks appear out of the blue.

are there any other tricks that folks do to attract sharks?

If you are posting on a public forum, you have to accept this. There are some that are opposed to this practise and they are entitled to voice their opinion.

I'm not sure I'm against crinkling a bottle.

Palau they put rough sand and small rocks in a water bottle, probably 1/3rd full and started to shake the bottle. makes a slightly different sound to the crinkle and worked quite well.... more sharks came to join the dozen already there :p

Some bring down a couple 30 gallon garbage cans filled with cut fish....Some even carry remora's attached to their sides.....
romoracan.jpg

Results sometimes are a 14 foot tigershark:

Tiger141.jpg

and 18 footers:

Tiger17.jpg

I have no idea why, but I think I'd prefer to meet a great white over a tiger or bull shark on one of those feeds :s

I have no idea why, but I think I'd prefer to meet a great white over a tiger or bull shark on one of those feeds :s

This works every time, & ALWAYS remember it---never be the slowest swimmer down there.....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom