Why Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krbailey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just watched episode 5 of "The Curse of Oak Island" and they hired a diver to search a swamp. He was using a Nitrox tank and at only one point was he actually "submerged" (tank barely under the surface). Is there any reason Nitrox would be beneficial in this case?

Also, the guy did some type of back roll entry while standing and landed on his tank in about 6 inches of water. He actually did this twice. I'm surprised he didn't break his back.

I just watched episode 5 of "The Curse of Oak Island" and they hired a diver to search a swamp. He was using a Nitrox tank and at only one point was he actually "submerged" (tank barely under the surface). Is there any reason Nitrox would be beneficial in this case?

Also, the guy did some type of back roll entry while standing and landed on his tank in about 6 inches of water. He actually did this twice. I'm surprised he didn't break his back.

Its Hollywood, not reality. Watch it for the entertainment value; watch PBS etal for the educational value.

This is quite true. I saw a tank with a Deadhead sticker on it. I'm sure Jerry Garcia was not inside.

Good point, rongoodman. The guy was being touted as a professional diver. You would think he would have his tanks labeled correctly. Unless he was using the tank to empty it and the gas mix would have no effect because he was essentially at the surface.

maniago - yep. Entertainment value only and not much of that.

Good point, rongoodman. The guy was being touted as a professional diver. You would think he would have his tanks labeled correctly. Unless he was using the tank to empty it and the gas mix would have no effect because he was essentially at the surface.

maniago - yep. Entertainment value only and not much of that.

Air is NITROX if thats what you were getting at. Any mix of N2 and O2 is NITROX.

Air is NITROX if thats what you were getting at. Any mix of N2 and O2 is NITROX.

While that is true, I think a tank with a NITROX sticker on it that contains air could be a problem. I guess that's why you should analyze the gas in your tank before diving.

While that is true, I think a tank with a NITROX sticker on it that contains air could be a problem. I guess that's why you should analyze the gas in your tank before diving.

.... and you label them, mix & mod. Mine will have anything from 21% to 40%...... Many times 21%.....

Bingo bango. Know what your diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom