Feedback wanted: Shore Diving Itinerary on Oahu in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iceman857

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The family and I (three divers, two snorkelers) are doing a trip to Oahu in July and I'd love to get feedback on the preliminary itinerary that I've put together so far for the 6 diving days we'll have there. I'm mostly interested in whether these are the ideal shore dives for us to do, given that we'll have some of our party diving while the others are snorkeling.

I'm assuming two tank dives every day, floating a dive flag or having the snorkelers follow us with it, and having the snorkelers avoid Yokohama, Halona blowhole, and Makaua channel. Any other thoughts or advice?

Hey Iceman......

You have done your homework with regards to shore dive and I will only comment on certain parts of your trip that I have dived.....

First off: Be aware that rental cars with families wandering down to some beaches are obvious targets to thieves. As a rule of thumb...... leave NOTHING in the car and for an extra measure of safety, just leave it unlocked. If your ID and key can fit in a waterproof box that can go with you that's awesome. Only bummer is if the key has a chip in it and the box gets swamped. I would almost advocate you leave someone on shore with the towels and keys and such while the rest of you snorkel or dive......

Secondly..... Some of the reef structure that is snorkel friendly can be a good distance off shore. Take Makaha for example. Good beach to lounge on with a lifeguard station (so yes, bring your dive float) but a fairly sizeable swim out to where the reef gets good. 15 minutes is sticking in my head for some reason. There used to be a shallow buoy at about 10 feet that could serve as a reference point. The swim is obviously going to be longer and more taxing if the surf is up. Which brings up my next point.

CHECK THE SURF REPORT! Surf News Network If it's anymore than 1-2 I would evaluate the conditions for a good few minutes before heading out. There are certain dive sites on your list that I think may even be closed out in the summertime if there is any sort of South Swell. Those include Magic Island and Blow Hole. Magic Island is especially problematic if you try to access it by swimming through the rockpiles at the end of the lagoon. Certainly an easier route is to go around the lagoon on the Diamond Head side but this puts you very close to boat traffic coming in and out of Ala Wai Harbor. If you have never dived Blow Hole before I wouldn't suggest it even in optimal conditions unless you have an experienced guide.....

Finally..... You are coming in July and that is a very good thing with regards to shore dives on the North Shore. I can't think of a summer in the past where the conditions to dive up there haven't been epic and very mint come July. Parking can however be tricky. If you are going to get there early then it may make more sense to do 1 day at 3 tables (2 tanks) and 1 day at Shark's Cove (2 tanks) with a third day at the Trench (3 tanks). All of those sites have their goods and bads.

Good: Cove has a shower and relatively easy entrance (boulders and rocks)
Bad: Can be a confusing maze of tubes and swim throughs if you have never dived there...... A good DM is key.

Good: 3 Tables has a WAY better beach for lounging and easier access with soft sand to start for snorkeling
Bad: If current is ripping you might end up around the corner in Waimea Bay and not even notice...... also, no shower facility and restrooms are a 5 min walk

Good: Haleiwa Trench has easier parking and a shower and restrooms close.... Tons of turtles!
Bad: Longer walk to the waters edge then trudging across lots of spiny sea urchins before reaching the drop off. Tough to snorkel with barefoot fins (OUCH!) and even tougher at low tide.

Also..... Makaha is not the same as Makua. Pray for Sex is WAY out there and I don't even think the Honolulu Police Department shows up if you are the victim of a smash and grab so be careful :( I'm trying not to be too much of a Debbie Downer but rather injecting some caution into your plan. Finally, it will depend on where you rent tanks but you could spend an awful lot of time driving to and from each side of the island.

If you are a fairly experienced shore diver and you dive quite a bit I might suggest the following tweak to your schedule.....

Day 1: Shark's Cove x 2 (left then right)
Day 2: Three Tables x 2 (left then right)
Day 3: Haleiwa Trench x 2 (right then left or across to the far wall)
Day 4: Kahe Point x 2
Day 5: Makaha Beach/Caverns x 2

In closing I might also add that you will do best to stay to the North and West shores if there is any kind of South swell. If you have questions regarding specific sites or would like to set up some boat dives please let me know. We also guide daily dives on the North Shore in the summer time!

All the best and I hope other SB members find this post helpful....

G

Gabe thanks so much for the detailed reply! I really appreciate all the advice and information- it was really practical and useful! I'm definitely going to modify my plans, and will probably substitute at least one day for some boat dives. Can't have all those cool wrecks there and not check them out! Do you guys do a two-tank dive to YO-257 and San Pedro? If so, what day of the week?

Hey Iceman.....

No worries. I was hoping it might help you reformulate your plan and also give guidance to others who might be planning on visiting this year. We offer daily guided dives to all of the wrecks and reefs on Oahu. We don't have a set schedule but do tend to visit the YO 257 when conditions are good. Here's how we run....

AM 2 Tank Dive: Good for Advanced Divers...... Wreck/Reef...... Town sites include Sea Tiger, YO 257 and San Pedro, Secret Wreck

PM 2 Tank Dive: Good for newer divers, rusty divers or Intro Dives...... Reef/Reef...... Shallow reefs here on the South Shore with depths of 30 to 60 feet. Good spots to see turtles, eel, octopus and tons of colorful fish

*** SUMMER ONLY**** 2 Tank Guided NORTH SHORE DIVES..... Shark's Cove, 3 Tables, Haleiwa Trench...... These are SHORE DIVES and good for any level of experience but require a bit more leg work than falling off the back of a boat ********

Feel free to PM me for more info or drop me an email at gabe@waikikiscuba.com

Lots of good info to be found in Carvalho's Book too:

The O'ahu Snorkelers and Shore Divers Guide: Francisco B. de Carvalho: 9780824826468: Amazon.com: Books

All the best and HAPPY DIVING!

IMG_1763.jpg

G

Just in case you're not aware, you should buy your USS Arizona tickets online ahead of time, and you must arrive at Pearl Harbor at least 1 hour before your USS Arizona tour to pick up the tickets and see the museum. USS Arizona tickets are only $1.50 or so for the reservation fee. You can buy tickets for the USS Missouri or Bowfin online, or when you get there. My kids enjoyed both the Arizona and the Missouri, and I'd allow at least 6 hours just to see the two of them and the free museum. We were rushed trying to see both in 5 hours, and we completely missed the museum.

I like to use this website to check surf reports.

Power Plant Surf Forecast and Surf Report - for Electric Beach. In case I'm not allowed links, go to www dot surf dash forcaset dot com!
You can switch to Sandys beach for Hanauma and Pupukea for Sharks Cove. I think it gives good information now only for wave size but wave energy.

Surf has been high lately at Hanauma, ideally go on a day when it's no more then 2 or mayyyybe 3. Electric beach has been pretty low lately and so has the north shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom