High altitude diving question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Nelson

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning on diving Blue Hole, NM but have to be back in Denver that same day. Going over Raton Pass seems like it will present a problem as it's a significant gain of elevation. If I spend more time in the water at my safety stop will that extra "off gassing" help with my circumstance?

Any help would be appreciated.

surface oxygen would be more effective.
Do the dive as early as possible and leave the dive site as late as possible

additional considerations:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ro...higher-elevation-after-diving.html#post959181

… there is a 1000 ft climb, right on I-40, immediately after leaving Santa Rosa. Next time you go there look back towards town when you are leaving. If you haven't noticed before, you will be surprised! …

and from:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ro...79-warning-travel-santa-rosa.html#post4861573

Although Raton Pass (~7834 ft) is the highest point before entering Colorado, not everyone is aware how much of the elevation increase occurs how early. Just the trip from Santa Rosa (~4615 ft) to Las Vegas (~6450 ft) is over half the elevation gain experienced on the way to Raton Pass. But we don't notice it so much because it is pretty gradual.

Las Vegas and the City of Raton (~6350 ft) are at essentially the same elevation, and then you get the rapid increase.

One approach is to do it as an altitude dive.....assume the Blue Hole is the altitude of the pass. Use altitude-diving procedures, with a theoretical depth, and slower ascents.

Back
Top Bottom