Cressi Apache questions: replacement parts and upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
We have two 60cm Cressi Apache spearguns. Yeah, I know they're very basic but we're beginning casual hunters and couldn't justify the added expense of higher-end guns. We bought them in Cozumel at the military exchange for a very good price and leave them at our house there. We didn't want to try to travel with spearguns since we usually don't have any check-through luggage. We've been fairly successful with them (outside the Marine Park) thus far with lionfish, snapper, and grouper.

I'm currently in the US and the spearguns are in Mexico, so I can't measure anything. I'd also prefer not to drag parts on my next trip only to find they don't fit.

I've had trouble finding information about replacements and upgrades, and Cressi haven't responded to any of my email enquiries, so I'm hoping someone here knows the answers to a few questions.

• Will 6.5mm shafts fit this gun, or only 6.0mm? Some websites specifically list "Cressi Inox Shaft 6.50mm for Apache", but others clearly state only the 6.0mm size will fit. I'm positive we'll lose a shaft sooner or later, so I'd like to have spares around.

• Are there any non-Cressi shafts that fit?

• Is there any point trying to get threaded shafts in order to use different tips?

• What's a good replacement band? In particular, I think I'd like to go with a jointed wishbone. The thin wire wishbone that came with the guns looks destined to break, in any event, so I'd like to have some replacement bands ready to go even if there isn't a good jointed wishbone option.

• Are there particular recommended upgrades for these guns? (Other than "get a different gun"!)

We're not trying to go after tuna or barracuda with 60cm euro-band guns, just trying to catch some of the local seafood that likes to taunt us.

We stock consumable supplies for a wide variety of gear. May we suggest that you consider our 100 cm notched euro shafts for your 60 cm gun. That is a small gun for such clear water, but you should be able to catch dinner. Our euroshafts are compatible with that mechanism.

MAKO Universal South African (Euro Mech) 6.5mm, 7.0mm, and 7.5mm Double Notched Spears with Flopper

MNTS-2.jpg

We also sell replacement bands and parts... If you decide to upgrade to the mako shafts, the notches are extremely smooth and specifically designed for use with dynema wishbones. These are flexible wishbones that are extremely tough and they are safer than a metal wishbone which is more likely to injury your hand if you mis-load or the wishbone breaks.

Here's a few more links of these products

MAKO Custom Made Latex Bands

MAKO South African Pre-Made Beaded Wishbone

We also stock monofilament shooting line, crimps, tools, supplies too many products to mention.

We have two 60cm Cressi Apache spearguns. Yeah, I know they're very basic but we're beginning casual hunters and couldn't justify the added expense of higher-end guns. We bought them in Cozumel at the military exchange for a very good price and leave them at our house there. We didn't want to try to travel with spearguns since we usually don't have any check-through luggage. We've been fairly successful with them (outside the Marine Park) thus far with lionfish, snapper, and grouper.

I'm currently in the US and the spearguns are in Mexico, so I can't measure anything. I'd also prefer not to drag parts on my next trip only to find they don't fit.

I've had trouble finding information about replacements and upgrades, and Cressi haven't responded to any of my email enquiries, so I'm hoping someone here knows the answers to a few questions.

• Will 6.5mm shafts fit this gun, or only 6.0mm? Some websites specifically list "Cressi Inox Shaft 6.50mm for Apache", but others clearly state only the 6.0mm size will fit. I'm positive we'll lose a shaft sooner or later, so I'd like to have spares around.

• Are there any non-Cressi shafts that fit?

• Is there any point trying to get threaded shafts in order to use different tips?

• What's a good replacement band? In particular, I think I'd like to go with a jointed wishbone. The thin wire wishbone that came with the guns looks destined to break, in any event, so I'd like to have some replacement bands ready to go even if there isn't a good jointed wishbone option.

• Are there particular recommended upgrades for these guns? (Other than "get a different gun"!)

We're not trying to go after tuna or barracuda with 60cm euro-band guns, just trying to catch some of the local seafood that likes to taunt us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom