Ending Dive with 500psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Golfer38

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a fairly new diver with a little more than 50 dives (AOW cert). I took up diving so with my two sons (12 - newly cert and 15 AOW, 50 dives).

My older son and I started together and (maybe) cause I am older, I go through my air faster.

So my question is this.. We most always reach the surface/boat with a minimum of 500psi. Since my son has more than 1000 psi left, he likes to stay about 10'-15' down and do flips, etc with his go pro, or just maybe swim around. While I still have at least 500psi left, I stay on the surface (and yes away from the boat steps) and watch him. I monitor my tank and with about 200-330psi left, I get his attention and we both leave the water.

While diving in the Caribbean, one boat DM chewed me out pretty bad. Being the DM, I took his verbal lashing but I really wanted to tell him off. Mainly because he could have been a bit more professional about it. He stated that many things could have gone wrong, and I won't list them all but I am sure you all can determine what he said (banging my head on the boat, other divers would not be able to get out, etc). I just told him that I understand what he is saying, I do have my wits and make sure that when I signal my son, etc. there are no other divers, etc.. around as to impede their progress. Also, I do use my snorkel at times on the surface...

So my question is this. Is it ok for me to stay on the surface with a tank at 200-500psi?

Thanks,

Jim

Depends on the boat, the dive, the conditions, the crew. If I want to do anything a bit out of routine, like stay in water after buddy departs, dip back in to cool down, etc., I check with the crew.

Having another person swimming around at the back is one more thing they have to watch.

Your buddy separation sounds like at least 15-20 ft. I think at 15 you are supposed to buddy with them.

I would allow you to stay in or get out. If the DM's can't keep track of a kid at 15 feet burning off his air in clear Caribbean water, they aren't worth a lick of salt. My rule is, if the diver is attached to the boat (by hang line, deco bar, etc.) and in sight of the deck staff, it's as good as being on the boat.

HOWEVER

Every boat has different rules. Next time the DM treats you with less than respect, pull them aside with the Captain and explain that you thought you were doing right, you apologize, and tell him or her that you don't expect to be treated like a juvenile. Additionally, I have a DM with terrible communication skills. You wouldn't want anyone else on your side when the SHTF, but she is clueless when it comes to gently admonishing a passenger. Her gentle button is broken. She often comes off as brusque, but she really isn't mad, she just doesn't know how to be gentle. Maybe your DM wasn't really mad, maybe he just had lousy communication skills....

Thanks for the reply. As for my separation, I have done this after we do our safely stop and well away from the boat as to not impede any others.

I hear you when you say, a bit out of routine, (get in the water, get out of the water) but (as a new diver) I have been on many dives where folks (young adults and adults) jump back in the water many times when a dive is over... Some snorkel for a bit, young adults like to do flips, etc... This of course, while waiting for the other divers.

My main concern about me doing this (and I have thought about it) is that if something happened to my son, even at 10'-15' feet, I would not be able to do anything. The safety measure (of 500psi) would be gone.

Thanks again,

Jim

Great you all are diving together. I started out with my two daughters the same way. It's a time none of us forget now that they are thru college and beginning their adult lives.

The only comment I'll make is concerning pattern development. I always treated each and every dive the same, plan, awareness, etc. I once did something similar to what you describe and I realized that I was enabling a pattern that said you don't have to follow the rules on some dives. I realized I didn't want to reinforce this, so I stopped it as we were new divers and that wasn't a good base to establish.

Not trying to preach as I did a similar thing, once myself, so I get it. But...

Wookie, thats what I had thought. Especially (and I didn't mention in my initial post) is that I will only dive with a shop, recommended from here, which takes no more than 8 people. This is to ensure, as best I can, a better safety oversight.

We have been to a few Caribbean Islands, and this DM, in one shop, on this one island seemed to have an issue. But it was a big deal as a few of the divers came up to me and told me he was a bit out of line. Especially in front of my son. It was a tad funny as my son asked why I didn't throw him off the boat. I just said told him that it was the DM's boat and he makes the rules. Just like in our house.

I just didn't know what the protocol was in areas like this.

I am just trying to get my sons to log in a few hundred dives before they go out on their own (18+). As you know, anything can happen at anytime. The more dives they have, the better they will understand diving and their equipment.

Thanks,

JIm

Thanks for the reply. As for my separation, I have done this after we do our safely stop and well away from the boat as to not impede any others.

I hear you when you say, a bit out of routine, (get in the water, get out of the water) but (as a new diver) I have been on many dives where folks (young adults and adults) jump back in the water many times when a dive is over... Some snorkel for a bit, young adults like to do flips, etc... This of course, while waiting for the other divers.

My main concern about me doing this (and I have thought about it) is that if something happened to my son, even at 10'-15' feet, I would not be able to do anything. The safety measure (of 500psi) would be gone.

Thanks again,

Jim

I think you may have answered your own question "My main concern about me doing this (and I have thought about it) is that if something happened to my son, even at 10'-15' feet, I would not be able to do anything. The safety measure (of 500psi) would be gone."

Scubaba,

Thanks for the response. I guess that is really what my question was/is...Is it breaking the "rules" or "enabling a patter"?

I fully understand the 500psi rule and I wasn't trying to get around that. I just didn't know if it was an acceptable practice or not. I have been on many dives where there are snorkelers, folks diving in the water after coming up from a dive or just swimming around. Sometimes we wait 25+ minutes for other paired divers to come up, or, the Captain may stay at that place for any Surface Interval time.

I just didn't know if I was doing something wrong as I don't want to do it if its unacceptable. Nor do I want my son(s) to get into bad habits or follow a poor routine.

Thanks,

Jim

some dive shops have a rule that you come up with 700psi

did the DM tell you about their requirement in the briefing?
if he didn't i would have totally told him off if he dared give me all that lecture

Krawlings,

Thanks for the response. But its tough in the beautiful 80 degree Caribbean waters.. :)

Jim

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 05:00 PM ----------

t4e,

Thanks, Just the usual discussion about the boat, dive area and come up with no less than 500psi. I don't remember in any of my dives, a DM stating 700psi.

Yeah, it was a rough 3-5 minutes.. I did go up to him and told him to stop the crap.. But this thread was more about protocol and such..

Thanks,

Jim

Back
Top Bottom