HID vs LED for night diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ben_wilson3301

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering thoughts and a opinions on HID vs LED specifically for night diving. I understand tech guys want HID for signalling and penitration, but I will only use it for night diving and nothing else.

Also which model if you like...

LED is the way to go. The bulbs will last much longer than HID and there are some LED lights that are great for signaling now. I use all LED lights and have no issues getting my buddy's attention. Of course, there are some LEDs that don't signal very well.

Here's a photo of an LED light being used in a cave. You can see it has a nice focused spot to signal with and enough flood to light up the surrounding area.

r10.jpg

That is the Seac R10 at it's maximum setting. It can also be dimmed to 50% which might be something that's desirable on night dives.

I'd also go for LED. Have had a HID, but in the process of changing now.

HIDs have a definite advantage for signaling, when there is ambient light. Of course that begs the question of why you would need a light in conditions with adequate ambient light. Agree that LEDs are more robust, burn less juice so generally have longer burn times given the same battery size. LEDs that have the light head & battery in a wrist model are very popular, as you don't need the umbilical cord and battery canister. You can get them for usually less cost and less weight over HIDs.

Still, it all comes down to what you like when you go diving. A good used light that has an attractive price - HID or LED - can be the deciding factor for some. I tend to do more cave dives now, so LED is a no brainer for me.

HIDs have a definite advantage for signaling, when there is ambient light.

I've used my LED lights to signal the dive boat for pickup during middle of the day while diving oil rigs. They can see my signals just fine.

Of course that begs the question of why you would need a light in conditions with adequate ambient light.

Adequate ambient light doesn't light up the nooks and crannies where the critters hide.

LED light technology is increasing at a ridiculous rate right now. Very soon HID wouldn't have anything on LED but cost.

I have a DiveRightInScuba (DRIS) 1000 Lumen LED light. It goes for about $90. I love it. You can add a soft goodman handle for $20 or make your own.

DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I also bought six 5000 mAh rechargeable C batteries and a charger from:

NiMH Rechargeable Cell: C Size 1.2V 5000mAh Button top (1pc)

It saves money in the long run. If you buy rechargeable batteries from somewhere else make sure you verify the mAh. Some batteries are a C "size", but they are really only 2000 mAh (about the same charge as a AA battery).

Best of luck.

Mike

LED. considering the price of them now it's a no brainer. ones like the DRIS or the Hollis LED6 are fantastically powered. Every year they're just getting stronger and power consumption gains are happening with each generation as well.

I've owned (and still own) and dove with both. I agree with most of the LED comments and for your described situation, LED sounds like the answer unless you come on a SUPER deal on HID.

I had HID, went to LED, bought a second LED. Then I got a scooter and neither LED was 'big' enough for me. So, I got a newer HID after a comparison dive. It gave me the most light. The LEDs really started getting much better it seems right after that. And, more houses are making LEDs now. I am not sure I'd make the HID decision now, but it does put out a lot of light and is focus-able from a light saber to more of a flood.

Then I sold my scooter and started thinking about selling the HID as my LED is fine for swimming.

Just my experience.

HIDs have a definite advantage for signaling, when there is ambient light.

While that's true when compared to most LEDs, it's not true for all. Take a look at this video.

Dive in a Mexico Cave on Vimeo

One of the lights in the video is HID and the other is LED. You can see a good comparison of the two at 3:11. I won't tell you which is which.

Good points all around. My take is:

HID: Pros:
great for signaling
better way to go from flood to light saber
better in low vis situations
no "flicker" that can be seen in videos
user replaceable bulbs

Cons:
need larger battery cap. for longer burn time
expensive bulbs
bulbs are very fragile
gets really hot and has to be underwater
no warning that batteries are decreasing
only one setting and no way to decrease brightness to extend burn time

LED: Pros: Long bulb life
more compact
great burn times
tougher
can be used out of water
often can be changed from degrees of brightness to extend burn time

Cons: Does not have the same punch in low vis
Does not have, as far as I have seen, user replaceable lights (diodes)
In certain lights you can see a flicker in the video as the batteries decrease

I hope that this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom