• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foxfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How many fatal shark attacks within a radius of say 300 km of the ocean location you are about to dive would it take to deter you from diving? Pick the one that best describes your choice.

I'm interested to get some idea of the risks divers are typically prepared to take in this regard.

Assume the coastline is straight and sharks can move freely along the coast.

Assume you are diving without any special protection like a shark cage.

Assume that there is no human feeding of sharks in the area.

Assume that the attacks occur on people undertaking the normal spectrum of water sports in the ocean including diving.

I'd be also interested to hear in a post below how many fatal shark attacks there have been within this distance of the location you typically dive within the three years?

Last edited:
I would like to visit the place where shark attacks are occurring. Fatal shark attacks would be an attractant to me, not a deterrent at all. I might want a cage, but then, I might want a tub of chum, too.

Divers rarely have problems with sharks. Most shark encounters happen with swimmers/surfers who are on the surface and look like prey from below. I don't think a fatal shark encounter would have any affect on where I dive.

The circumstances of the attacks would be an important factor. If a scuba diver NOT feeding sharks was attached once a week at a dive site, I would probably not dive there. The problem is, if some people are feeding sharks, when I dive the site, sharks may expect food from me, and get pissed off if I had nothing for them. SO I oppose feeding sharks everywhere, by anyone. But bottom line, attacks on shark feeders, surfers, ocean swimmers, and kayakers would not deter me.
DivemasterDennis

for me it would be more about the nature of the attacks and the types of sharks.

If divers being attacked are chumming the waters to attract the sharks, then it probably wouldn't deter me, although I wouldn't be diving near the chumming.

If it appears that sharks are actually hunting divers in an area, then that would stop me...although I have never heard of this happening, there is some gray area in between.

I swim in waters where great whites are seen with some frequency. Of course since they are in California waters they seem quiet mellow and non-aggressive. They usually just swim by us to check out our new gear and then swim off to munch on a higher fat content target like a sea lion. As far as I know, there has not been a fatal GWS attack in our waters over the last 50 years (which pretty well approximates the amount of time I've been diving here). However, I don't do open ocean swimming, paddleboarding or surfing. No attacks in our waters on them either though.

You seem to have quite an agenda here on SB... every post I've noticed has been about shark attacks. Of course living in Perth, I imagine they are on your mind more than most. But it also causes me to wonder.

I swim in waters where great whites are seen with some frequency. Of course since they are in California waters they seem quiet mellow and non-aggressive. They usually just swim by us to check out our new gear and then swim off to munch on a higher fat content target like a sea lion. As far as I know, there has not been a fatal GWS attack in our waters over the last 50 years (which pretty well approximates the amount of time I've been diving here). However, I don't do open ocean swimming, paddleboarding or surfing. No attacks in our waters on them either though.

You seem to have quite an agenda here on SB... every post I've noticed has been about shark attacks. Of course living in Perth, I imagine they are on your mind more than most. But it also causes me to wonder.

Interesting to hear of the situation where you dive and yes it sounds quite different to our own. No agenda here. Just interested to hear the opinions of other divers in regard to the risks they consider acceptable. I'd like the discussion to focus on the questions raised in the OP.

Thanks to those who have participated in the poll so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom