Should SB be required reading in OW classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
After reading several posts about how few divers read or even know about Scubaboard it got me thinking. I know that I have learned a great deal and have become a much better diver by reading SB. So, should it be required reading for new divers or at least discussed in OW classes?

Look up and see who posts in the PADI forum. I'll give you a minute, and talk about the 800 lb gorilla for a minute. PADI claims that they are the way the world learns to dive, and they have a right to make that claim. I don't know what the percentage is, but at one point, more folks were certified PADI than all other agencies combined.

So, did you find the PADI forum? How about the NAUI forum? No? It's because the entrenched "industry leaders" like DEMA and PADI and NAUI and etc. etc. have no use for SB. We're a bit free thinking here, in fact, we're way too individualistic to follow the leader. PADI thrives on doing it the PADI way. Suggest that students read SB? They'd sooner have their teeth drilled without Novocaine.

PADI employees are not allowed to have a SB account. That's fair enough, my employees are allowed to have one, but are not allowed to discuss company policy on SB either. If PADI employees were sharing PADI policy on SB, there would be policy out there that PADI doesn't control.

not really. too much "tongue-in-cheek", and too many extremists. A lot goes on here that needs experience to comprehend.... and much is not exactly to the advantage of the LDS/Instructor...there would be too much energy spent back-tracking. Maybe if you were an independent instructor, you could encourage it, and then discuss it.... the "old guard" would have a coronary if students were empowered :cool2:.

From my POV, Lapenta's book would be a good start for anyone starting. I have strongly urged a few folks interested in getting certified (and a few others who already were diving) to read it first...

Nor would most dive shop agree with that idea. They would rather have full control over the knowledge their customers acquire.

After reading several posts about how few divers read or even know about Scubaboard it got me thinking. I know that I have learned a great deal and have become a much better diver by reading SB. So, should it be required reading for new divers or at least discussed in OW classes?

Whenever the subject of Instructors or Classes comes up on here, I always think to myself "Instructors and Classes hardly matter. If these OW students spent a significant time on SB they would learn exponentially more than what instructors and classes offer" (A significant part of this point is that the students would end up spending a lot more time on the subject since they would not even have to leave their home).

So yeah, I think any diver who spends a lot of time on this board will be much better equipped than a diver that does not. That said, I think it's also important to be able to determine where the significant subjects stop and the "BS" begins...But that is part of the critical thinking that a student needs to do themselves.

I don't think so. You have to have really tough skin to survive on scubaboard. I know multiple beginners who left SB because the environment here is so harsh and people were so rude.

If it was part of the class, I think those people might leave the activity, not just the board.

When I first started following SB, I felt almost angry that I hadn't had the benefit of such a great resource at the time I took my OW class. I felt I was fed the party line and not told about alternatives. But over time I realized that a major function of SB is to serve as a forum for experienced divers to debate different ways of doing things. I think reading SB could be confusing for students currently in OW class. I think SB is more like grad school, where you learn to question what you learned as an undergraduate and explore alternatives and improvements. Sure, SB is also a great place to ask "what fins should I buy?" but reading TOO much SB could just be confusing to an OW student.

1. all three of the LDS that I have spoken with were not very thrilled when I mentioned SB. Things like "I don't know if I would believe what I read on there". (I don't believe it all. I hope I have figured out when someone is flaming or trolling or giving actual prudent advice.)

not really. too much "tongue-in-cheek", and too many extremists. A lot goes on here that needs experience to comprehend....

That right there is exactly my thoughts, Bob, I agree on this 100%
In fact, if my students were to inquire about SB with me, I would actually tell them to stay away from it, how many threads do you see where there is a consensus, everyone is an expert, it's a battle of egos, a huge chunk of what goes on in here is more about "winning" an argument, that in the end results in it having nothing to do with the subject being proposed to begin with.
So, I agree, for someone to learn something about a subject here, one needs to pretty much be an expert about said subject, it's ironic, but that is the only way one would know what is valuable and what is BS, and trust me, there's plenty of BS to be filtered here.

remember when instruction had nothing to do with buying gear??????? Take the certification class, then come to SB (before you buy gear, or decide that you are going to be a DM and haven't even done your check-out dives yet) :D it (a link to SB) should almost be in a "post graduation handout"......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom