Cuda Trigger Jammed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

betti154

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've had continual problems with my cuda trigger and just looking for input on how to better manage this.

I dive in salt water, run scooter in fresh water after each dive. Usually I let this stand on the shroud to drain water out of the trigger but on occasion have not be able to do so. Problems have always resulted, with disassembly and wd40 being the fix.

It was used by someone else and I'm guessing was not left to stand, though was run in fresh water post dive. My trigger was completely jammed, I could not force it on without serious might. I've since disassembled the bolt, hit it with wd-40, etc....but it is still sticking that much that the spring cannot overpower this grip and it jams on and off dry hard. In effect unusable.

The bolt is clean of corrosion, but I cannot get inside the barrel easily where I presume there is more corrosion.

Surely there is a better solution to this problem; I've had continuous problems with this trigger since I've had it (my previous Sierra wasn't anywhere near sad bad). It seems silly to be putting a piece of stainless steel into are alloy barrel and then wondering why it is corroding. Anyone considered a Delrin bolt instead? Or drain holes for the trigger area?

Kind Regards,
Damien Siviero

Hey Damien,

Sorry about your issues with your trigger getting stuck. This is what we'd recommend you do to fix the issue...

Firstly we highly discourage using WD40 on the scooters as it can seep on the plastic and eat it away. So I'd recommend you quit using it now as you'll run less risks damaging the scooter.

When you're done with each dive, you should take the body off and unplug the battery then pull and release the trigger really quickly lots of times. That will create pressure and force the water in the end of the trigger tube out. After that you don't need to do anymore as soaking it in fresh water will only get more water in the end of the trigger tube.

What some customers have used to lubricate the spring and trigger rod is lemon pledge, a wood furniture polish. Personally, I've never used it on mine, but I have friends who say it works.

If any of this doesn't make sense or you think it's not working feel free to shoot us an email or call at the factory!

Will

Hi Will,

Thanks for the info but I pretty much do exactly as you describe for post dive maintenance when I wash it in fresh water, albeit with the battery connected in a large tub of water.

My more pressing issue now is bolt refuses to slide in the barrel freely, so the unit is inoperable. Any advice on how to clean out the barrel, as I presume there is corrosion in there that stops the bolt sliding freely.

I've always seemed to have problems with this trigger. Ray sent me out a new T-handle a whole back suggesting that it might be bent and the newer thicker material might address the problem. Not sure it did anything, as the handle wasn't bent to begin with as we always pickup the units from the shroud.

Regards, ds

Yeah - my thoughts exactly. I'd be keen to give one a go. Might try and borrow Wayne's whilst in Florida in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Damien,

I just sent you an email. Check it and get back to me!

Will

Hi,

Thanks for email - problem solved and unit appears/feels good as new.

I didn't have a drill bit long enough to get right down there, but bored out what corrosion I could by hand with a standard 8.5mm bit.

Right or wrong, I then poured Biox o2 cleaning solution down the barrel to remove corrosion and used the bolt itself to scour off the corrosion. Turning the bolt around gives a nicer square edge to scrape the corrosion off, as opposed to the tapered end which doesn't work so well.

Of course removing the handle makes the process easier too.

Hopefully a good slug of silicon oil will avoid issues in future too.

Thanks all, ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom