SM Training Question Local / FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to post this question, related to SM training, I did read over several posts here about SM training. I am getting started w/ SM diving. I recently purchased a modified SMS 100 from CA in FL. I know several divers who own these modified rigs, and they all have been diving SM for years, and encouraged me that I wont be disappointed.. many of them switched up from Nomads, and other SM rigs. (this is not an add for the modified SMS 100, just what I have been told :), and research I have done..

My question lies with the training... a few of my dive friends, have said they will help me as they have a lot of expertise with SM, none of them are instructors, but all of them are full cave certified. A local dive shop who is a very experienced diver, and instructor can teach the SM class, but he is NOT a hollis dealer (he is a diverite dealer) nor is he knowledgeable w/ the modified SMS 100 from CA... Not sure if that would matter much?

So I am looking to get feedback on if its better to take a local Class with my local instructor, or just fly to FL and take the SM class with Edd from CA? I do plan on taking the cavern classes, and cave classes with Edd, in the near future, but first need to get some dives on the SM under my belt.

Appreciate your opinions on this;

thanks​

Just go to Ed in Mariana, Fl. If you are taking your cave classes from him anyway it will help in the long run.

Definitely do the class with Edd. You want someone who dives sidemount regularly to be your instructor not someone who doesn't dive the configuration but just got certified by their agency so that they could teach it.

I flew from Seattle to Marianna for my sidemount class. I didn't take it with Edd, but I did take it with an instructor who was working in partnership with Edd at the time. To this day I think it was time and money well invested.

I've seen the results of local instruction ... and it's enough to make me cringe. I think the majority of recreational instructors who teach sidemount as an addition to their "stable" of specialty classes don't really know much more about sidemount than their students do. If you're serious about going sidemount, go take a class from someone who dives sidemount regularly, and knows what they're doing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hello there you are always welcome to dive with us.
We are not instructors for sure but we have trained and continue to do so every chance we get.
When were you heading down?

CamG

Sorry for late response, I do have a local instructor who is going to assist also, did several classes w/ him already, and he is a good tec instructor. w/ the modified SMS 100, i decided to take a trip to FL to get additional SM training from Edd, my class is March 17/18, so not too long and it will be ready to go.
CamG - looking forward to getting some dives in up @ Gilboa this year, when/if the weather warms up, :-(

---------- Post added February 28th, 2014 at 07:18 AM ----------

I flew from Seattle to Marianna for my sidemount class. I didn't take it with Edd, but I did take it with an instructor who was working in partnership with Edd at the time. To this day I think it was time and money well invested.

I've seen the results of local instruction ... and it's enough to make me cringe. I think the majority of recreational instructors who teach sidemount as an addition to their "stable" of specialty classes don't really know much more about sidemount than their students do. If you're serious about going sidemount, go take a class from someone who dives sidemount regularly, and knows what they're doing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hear you on this one... I agree 100% w/ that comment, a younger instructor who I took my open water/advanced open water with, when I asked him about SM, had so many bad things to say about it, he never dove SM from what I hear... go figure.... he told me to stick to BM...so much for advancing ones's learning, and doing something they want to do. needless to say I dont goto him for nothing no more, he lost my business.

I guess that is what finally motivated me to just take the trip and learn it the right way.
The other local shop in my area, has a very good trainer, who can offer tec classes, and teaches them. he has been doing SM diving for some time, but he is only a dive rite dealer, and a few others, but not hollis. I got an advanced nitrox class scheduled w/ him once the weather breaks a bit.

Back
Top Bottom