Recommended Reading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike.chuanshi

Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed that there are many authors on here (of books, articles, blogs, etc.) and I'm hoping to get some specific recommendations for very informational texts that can be read with the intention of improving one's diving.

If you were asked to design a semester-long comprehensive AOW course for a university that establishes a very solid foundation upon which the diver could then specialize, what would you assign as required reading? In addition, what would be your units of study (buoyancy, gas management, navigation, etc.)?

1. Dennis Graver's Scuba Diving 4th edition - primary text
2. Scuba: A Practical Guide for the New Diver - yes it's mine. - supplement to the primary
4. The Six Skills by Steve Lewis - Gear configuration, gas planning, dive planning, weighting.
4. SDI Solo Diving Manual - self sufficiency, planning, gas management
5. Staying Alive by Steve Lewis - Situational Awareness, risk management,
6. Deco for Divers by Mark Powell - deco theory

All of the special study areas that I feel would be critical are covered in these. and all are relatively inexpensive.
Additional material that would be optional but highly recommended given this is a university course and not fifth graders

6. Tao of Survival Underwater aka the IANTD Exploration and Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia by Tom Mount
7. The Technical Diving Handbook by Gary Gentile
8. US Navy Dive Manual - free download
9. NOAA Dive Manual - Expensive but worth it for serious divers in an academic setting
10.PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving. It's an ok a resource and easy to understand but not what I would consider university level. More like High School level. And everything in it is covered in 8 and 9 to a much greater degree and on a higher level

1. Dennis Graver's Scuba Diving 4th edition - primary text
2. Scuba: A Practical Guide for the New Diver - yes it's mine. - supplement to the primary
4. The Six Skills by Steve Lewis - Gear configuration, gas planning, dive planning, weighting.
4. SDI Solo Diving Manual - self sufficiency, planning, gas management
5. Staying Alive by Steve Lewis - Situational Awareness, risk management,
6. Deco for Divers by Mark Powell - deco theory

All of the special study areas that I feel would be critical are covered in these. and all are relatively inexpensive.
Additional material that would be optional but highly recommended given this is a university course and not fifth graders

6. Tao of Survival Underwater aka the IANTD Exploration and Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia by Tom Mount
7. The Technical Diving Handbook by Gary Gentile
8. US Navy Dive Manual - free download
9. NOAA Dive Manual - Expensive but worth it for serious divers in an academic setting
10.PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving. It's an ok a resource and easy to understand but not what I would consider university level. More like High School level. And everything in it is covered in 8 and 9 to a much greater degree and on a higher level

AWESOME! I have only a few of these, and I'm ordering the rest now. Thank you very much!

<snip>
<snip>

I am enjoying it right now. Simply, clear information.. I agree the Buddy system is not stressed enough today.

An awesome book that is often overlooked is "Diving Physiology in Plain English" by Dr. Jolie Bookspan. Does an incredible job of explaining the intangibles of diving.

Good call, Jeff.

For what it's worth, I bought and first read this book when I started technical diving and not only found the book a great resource, but also had some very helpful personal insight through correspondence with Dr. Bookspan. She is a certifiable eccentric, very likeable, and a real diving icon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom