Octopus Versus Dive Camera Caught on Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverWire

Contributor
Reaction score
(DiverWire) Two divers were taking photos of an octopus when the animal decided to attack their underwater camera. The entire exchange was caught on video below.http://youtu.be/n2ZTU58O2sgUnderwater photography instructor Warren Murray, 56, was diving with his companion David Malvestuto in Bluefish Cove in Carmel, California. The two encountered a Giant Pacific Octopus, which is not often found in Bluefish Cove. Murray moved closer to snap photos while Malvestuto stayed back to take video of the encounter. As the video shows, after Murray snapped a few photos (complete with bright white flashes), the octopus jetted from its rocky resting place and latched its tentacles around Murray's dive camera.[caption id="attachment_12813" a...
Keep reading: Octopus Versus Dive Camera Caught on Video on Diverwire.com

More...

Woohoo! That was fun. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's a great story and I love the video and stills ... but if you dive around Giant Pacific Octopus regularly it can be much more than a once in a lifetime experience. GPO's are pretty smart, and although I can't resist the urge to anthropomorphize, I'm convinced they have individual "personalities". Most times they don't react at all to divers ... I've been on "walkabout" with one much larger than the one in the video and it completely ignored me, even though I swam alongside and quite close for several minutes, taking pictures till my strobe batteries died. Other times they'll react as this one did ... either aggressively or simply seeming curious. A couple years ago a diver I know quite well got a video of one as it grabbed ahold of her camera ... you can hear the squeaks and squeals of the housing as it's being compressed by the tentacles, and she was fortunate it didn't break the o-ring seal ... a testament to the strength and durability of an expensive housing. Several years ago there was one living at the bottom of the jetty at Keystone, Whidbey Island (Washington) that relieved more than one diver of their camera. You see, octopus don't have eyelids, and their eyes are designed for darkness, so those strobes and video lights are not comfortable.

These divers had a great experience ... my friend Claudette, who is also from California, had one wrap several of its tentacles around her head and face on her very first encounter with a GPO. TSandM and a couple other friends "assisted" the octopus in letting go of her, worried that the tentacles might somehow remove her regulator at a bad time. But like these guys, all went well and she came out of the water absolutely thrilled.

These are amazing animals that ... like a lot of wild creatures ... are misrepresented in popular media. For the most part they're reclusive and solitary creatures. An encounter with one isn't really all that rare if you dive in areas like the Pacific Northwest or down along the west coast, where they're commonly found. But it is the highlight of a dive ... and under the right circumstances can be the memory of a lifetime. I envy these guys for getting it captured in video.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Over half a million views now Warren!

---------- Post added February 21st, 2014 at 12:38 PM ----------

With some advertizing on the front end now too!

Here's hoping for a million more!

It's not just those GPOs going after big rigs, on a night dive last fall a small two spot octopus went after my dive buddy's GoPro

octopus and GoPro 2013-11-14-hs.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom