Claro SIM card in West End? Food at supermarket/markets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! The posts I saw about this were a few years old so I want to make sure it's up to date. I cannot use my cell phone on Roatan except for internet where there is wifi so I poked around a bit on trip advisor and on here but was wondering if there is a place now to buy a Claro SIM card in West End? Otherwise I will have to have my taxi stop in Coxen Hole on the way from the airport. Is the Claro store still across the street from Sun Supermarket in Coxen Hole? I know there is a store in the mall in French Harbour but I won't be going there....too far out of the way.
I think I'll look online for the GSM unlocked phone and get it here unless someone knows for sure that I can get one cheap there....I think if I get it here the instructions will be in english...?

Also, different topic. There is tons of info everywhere about what food is safe in restaurants but I don't plan on eating in restaurants but would like to save money by cooking in the little kitchen I will have.
Does the grocery store(s) in West End carry produce that is safe (I'm assuming it should be washed, with what?....I've read bleach or vinegar....but bleach doesn't sound safe!). Do they have items for vegetarians such as soy/almond milk, is the yogurt safe for me to eat from the supermarket? Do they have tofu?

I read that Rudy's closed, is there another place where I can get healthy smoothies?

I know, I'm picky....but I really appreciate your help!! :)

Hi! The posts I saw about this were a few years old so I want to make sure it's up to date. I cannot use my cell phone on Roatan except for internet where there is wifi so I poked around a bit on trip advisor and on here but was wondering if there is a place now to buy a Claro SIM card in West End? Otherwise I will have to have my taxi stop in Coxen Hole on the way from the airport. Is the Claro store still across the street from Sun Supermarket in Coxen Hole? I know there is a store in the mall in French Harbour but I won't be going there....too far out of the way.
I think I'll look online for the GSM unlocked phone and get it here unless someone knows for sure that I can get one cheap there....I think if I get it here the instructions will be in english...?

Also, different topic. There is tons of info everywhere about what food is safe in restaurants but I don't plan on eating in restaurants but would like to save money by cooking in the little kitchen I will have.
Does the grocery store(s) in West End carry produce that is safe (I'm assuming it should be washed, with what?....I've read bleach or vinegar....but bleach doesn't sound safe!). Do they have items for vegetarians such as soy/almond milk, is the yogurt safe for me to eat from the supermarket? Do they have tofu?

I read that Rudy's closed, is there another place where I can get healthy smoothies?

I know, I'm picky....but I really appreciate your help!! :)

You can get very cheap phones and they have English menu, less than 25US with some minutes, if you bring your own you will need to buy the sim and probably end up paying more, there are a few places in CH, Ask your taxi guy as they will certainly know.

Buy produce from the trucks, washing with bleach is readily accepted when done as recommended, Soy/Almond Milk will likely require trip to Eldons or Plaza Mar, Yogurt is readily available at the grocery stores, Healthy smoothies? Any idea the amount of Sugar that went into the majority of Rudy's smoothies?

Reactions: Doc
Inside the same building as the Mares store in West End is a print shop. I bought a Claro USB modem and data SIM there in December. A Tigo SIM from Jorge on the street is about 100 lp. You can find an unlocked phone in Coxen Hole for around 750 lp.

You can get produce from a few places in West End but I'd washed it again with water from a 5 gallon bottle.

You can get smoothies from Earth Mama http://earthmamasroatan.com/storage/menus/Smoothies.pdf

Haha, no, i have no idea how much sugar was in those smoothies from Rudys but should have known better! Thanks for your help!!!!
You can get very cheap phones and they have English menu, less than 25US with some minutes, if you bring your own you will need to buy the sim and probably end up paying more, there are a few places in CH, Ask your taxi guy as they will certainly know.

Buy produce from the trucks, washing with bleach is readily accepted when done as recommended, Soy/Almond Milk will likely require trip to Eldons or Plaza Mar, Yogurt is readily available at the grocery stores, Healthy smoothies? Any idea the amount of Sugar that went into the majority of Rudy's smoothies?

In the West End there was some produce at Woody's. I don't recall there being a lot though. You may want to just get it off the trucks:

120531_6948.jpg

Woody's isn't much of a grocery store - more like a large 7-11 with extras. http://www.roatanisland.net/woodies.htm
The Coconut Tree store is even smaller, more of a snacks/alcohol/staples sort of place.

I'd pick up what you need in Coxen Hole - that market has a lot of stuff - and several aisles of produce. I believe that market is shown starting at 1:57 in this video - I was there once: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbjNRwwq6es You might want to pick up a styro cooler also for the drive to the West End if you buy perishables - cabs don't generally have A/C.

Thank you! That is very helpful! Googled Earth Mama's and I think that will be my regular go-to. Maybe I won't have to do SO much of my own cooking....lol! Amazing looking smoothies with impressive ingredients. (more ingredients on the website...).

In the West End there was some produce at Woody's. I don't recall there being a lot though. You may want to just get it off the trucks:

View attachment 178206

Woody's isn't much of a grocery store - more like a large 7-11 with extras. Woodies Grocery Store in West End, Roatan Island
The Coconut Tree store is even smaller, more of a snacks/alcohol/staples sort of place.

I'd pick up what you need in Coxen Hole - that market has a lot of stuff - and several aisles of produce. I believe that market is shown starting at 1:57 in this video - I was there once: Roatan Grocery Shopping Tips... - YouTube You might want to pick up a styro cooler also for the drive to the West End if you buy perishables - cabs don't generally have A/C.

---------- Post added February 21st, 2014 at 10:44 PM ----------

Thank you! That is very helpful!

Inside the same building as the Mares store in West End is a print shop. I bought a Claro USB modem and data SIM there in December. A Tigo SIM from Jorge on the street is about 100 lp. You can find an unlocked phone in Coxen Hole for around 750 lp.

You can get produce from a few places in West End but I'd washed it again with water from a 5 gallon bottle.

You can get smoothies from Earth Mama http://earthmamasroatan.com/storage/menus/Smoothies.pdf

I'd pick up what you need in Coxen Hole - that market has a lot of stuff - and several aisles of produce. I believe that market is shown starting at 1:57 in this video -

Eldons is the grocery store, the one being referenced. The Coxen Hole "Market" is an entirely different thing, an open air flea-market type affair. Not seeing much there for the casual visitor.

As modern as the referenced grocery stores are, they still suffer the vagaries of the supply chain. Be flexible.

Every day, you'll hear a kind man named Jorge walking through West End announcing, "Tigo, Claro!" He sells minutes recharges and usually SIM chips for both companies. If you ask anyone around if they've seen him, you'll probably find him easily.

I've bought from the roaming veggie trucks as well as the small veggie stand on the side of the West End roundabout with no issues.

Earth Mama's on Half Moon Bay sells smoothies. Earth Mama's Garden Cafe & Lifestyle - home

My wife and I arrive this Saturday. What about Captain Van's in West Bay next to Magianos? Are their prices for prepaid phones reasonable? My company usually provides an international phone, but said no this trip.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I am not really techno-savvy, and I will admit that I HATE to spend money on things like phones/international plans when I don't need them often. (Basically, I'm a cheap-skate :rofl3:)

When I visit Roatan, I bring my smart phone, which has Skype added as an app. I usually buy $10 worth of Skype credit and when I'm connected to WiFi at the hotel, I just call home using my smart phone and Skype. It's just like calling with the phone, but I don't have to go through all the "other" extra steps. It's just a quick way to check in with the kids, etc. while we're away, not meant to be a business solution.

Back
Top Bottom