Grand Turk Trip report and photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dave1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Its amazing how a short puddle jump can take you to a different world. Provo reminds me of visiting southeast Florida – expensive condo’s, construction, Bob’s IGA grocery, 40 ft plus dive boats with 30 divers, a massive beach with plenty of people, competition for lounge chairs in the shade.

Take the short flight to Grand Turk and you step into another world. Small dive boats with 2-6 people, diving 5-10 minutes from the beach, unique dining in small facilities, grocery stores that carry unexpected items, wild burros wondering around. A crowd on the beach means you can see two other people. Lovely trees provide shade on the beach if you want it with no competition.

This was my second trip to Grand Turk and again staying at Osprey Beach Hotel and diving with Oasis Divers. There are a handful of dive shops on Grand Turk and based on reviews I read and people I met, all provide good service and similar diving. I liked Oasis last trip so stuck with them again.

A dive guide can make or break a dive trip and I was fortunate to have Craig. Good pre-dive briefings, good with your gear and someone you like immediately. He was good at finding small critters, my favorite being quillfin blennies and jawfish with eggs. We saw three different quillfins during the week. Craig was comfortable with me diving my computer, the slow movement and low air consumption of a photographer. His skill stood out when we had a pair of beginner divers join us later in the week. He kept their pace slow and we dropped them off at the boat after 45 min when they were low on air. He and I kept going for 40 minutes more while they were safely in the boat. The newbies and I were all happy with the arrangements. Not all dive guides can figure out how to make that work.

Dives start at the beach, a 5-10 min boat ride on calm, clear water. Usually dropping to 70-80 ft on vertical walls then working back on top of the reef eventually leading to 25-40 ft near the boat. Surface intervals are back at the dive shop beach, allowing a run back to the hotel if desired then off for another short boat ride and dive. The dive shop has rinse tanks and storage for gear.

I did find the perfect way to get close to Nassau Groupers. Put on wide angle gear and they keep their distance. Put on a 105 macro setup with red spotting light then settle in on a goby for a few minutes. When you ease back from the goby, there was often a grouper watching me take the shots, usually within 18-24 inches but sometimes closer. Then they let me photo them all I want, which is fine if you are looking for grouper eyeball shots.

Overall photos here
Grand Turk - shiningseastudio's Photos

Comments/suggestions welcomed.

Craig is a great DM, we dived and hung out last year when he was working on Salt Cay. Saw him on our last day in GT a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nice.

Thanks for the great report . I will try them next time Grand Turk is one place I plan to return . Great Island . Some of the best diving in the Caribbean .

Getting there is hard, not a single direct flight from Houston.

That is what keeps it special. Few get there so the few there have it to themselves. The exception is cruise ship patrons. But they are given their own dive boats. You only see them walking in town or passing by on a tour bus. So far, they do not really influence a diver's time there.

You have to puddle jump from Provo or other islands in the carib.

Back
Top Bottom