Favorite Roatan dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zznola

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all.
I'll be diving with west end divers next week. I know they will take me to all of the top dive sites throughout the week but I was wondering what some of your favorites are? They seem to be willing to go where the group requests so post your " don't miss" sites! Thanks! See you down there!

West End Divers has a page-link entitled "Roatan Dive Sites", but you should know that most all dive ops are limited to a very small radius of dive operations they can reach, certainly not the 250 sites listed on that Google Earth map of Roatan.

WED is in a unique physical location that will allow them to easily "play the weather", making it easy for them to duck around to the South side if the North gets nasty, which it often does in Winter months. Most of their easily accessed dive sites are along the North and West portions of the island. Their wreck dives in that area are quite deep (110'±). There has always been an imponderable draw for visitors to Mary's Place (a distant South Side dive site), and I put it in the realm of Belize's Blue Hole. Do it once, get it over with. They might charge extra for that to pay for more gas. They don't list a night dive option but I would suggest you find a shop to do that, and often.

Get past the thought that you'll need "different sites", Roatan is simply not about the geography or underwater architecture... the shape of the rocks. It is about the cool macro critters. Some DMs are simply not able to find objects smaller than a toaster, but if your DM is showing you a Sea Horse on 50% of the dives, you got a winner.

Go slowly, look for the small stuff with your DM, learn how to find it with his guidance. Do the same dive site 10 times- be very surprised at how it changes with every visit.

Interesting thoughts. thanks doc!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine are;
Hole in the Wall
Bears Den
El Aquilo(sp) the wreck, and I really like the groupers

Other direction
Texas
West End Wall
I will be in West End for the month of May.

The wreck levergun refers to is El Aguila (sitting at 110'). For something that's a little bit different than most sites in the general area of West End, try Spooky Channel (named based on the lower visibility through the channel), but depending on the DM, this can be either a fun dive with a few swim throughs or a fairly boring dive through a channel.

Hands down, My favorite dive sites are Church reef and Blue house wall, Is this because they are both within minutes or seconds of my steps? Of course it is , But I can spend hours there in the shallows on one day with a 8 gig memory card and then head back the next day as if it were all new again.

West End Divers is my preferred dive op. Texas is the best non-macro site, IMHO. It was the one site that ALL the instructors got excited about diving.....and came in on their day off to dive. One customer forgot her fins, and the instructor gave her his and dove without fins as it was crucial he not miss it :D. Next time I go back, I'll be back at Texas.

My favorite dives are near the point just south of West Bay. The currents meet there which brings a lot of feed for the marine life and you often get more fish, turtles, rays etc as a result.

West End Divers have a couple of divemasters that are good at finding the smaller, more elusive critters....have fun.

Texas.

Last time I dived it there were hundreds of groupers, thousands of chromis

Back
Top Bottom