Weather & Water Conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VicScubaVentures

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm at T-10 days 'till departure for a 2 week stay at Reef House on the south side.
Anyone have any insight into the weather, water temps, vis lately?
I've never flown American Airlines to Roatan before ... hopefully they are on-time and don't lose bags!

Thanks,
C.

Got back from the Reef House 2 weeks ago. Like the other poster said surface temp around 80-82 and I was seeing 76-78 at 60-80ft range. We had very good visibility except of the one day that it was pretty windy. I would have put the visibility at 80-100ft most days and around 50-60ft on the one windy day.

We flew United but the American flights were on time at least coming and going from Roatan on the days we were in the airport.

Watch out for Polly.

@Ka3mgh .... I'd be very interested in your experiences w/ RHR. I've been there once, a couple of years ago and have some non-diving reservations about going back. I know all about Polly!! How was food / accom / boats? Davit and Choco up to their usual high standards of service?

Vic

My wife and I were both pleasantly surprised with the RHR. We had heard some positive and negative about the food but we were both pleasantly surprised. We told them in advance about a couple of foods we don't eat ( chicken and turkey for me and shellfish for my wife) and they accommodated us very well. We both got just a bit of what I would term Roatan revenge but not sure I could point to any one thing. We normally take acidophlis pills to help regulate such things while traveling but didn't this time so maybe we just jinxed ourselves by not taking it along this time. We never left the table hungry and the meal times were very punctual.

The beds were comfortable, the AC worked well, and they had direct TV with fairly new LCD's. The bathroom is a little sparse but worked. We did have a couple of little issues with hot water, they recently upgraded to a tankless hot water heater in a couple of the rooms and it kicked the breaker a couple of times on us. The staff was very good about getting the breaker reset so I would describe as a very minor inconvience at best. The staff had the rooms straightened up by the time we got back from the morning dives

They have two boats but we used the same one all week. We never had a problems with the boat or tanks besides a couple of leaky tank o-rings. You gear up in the middle and then can back roll off. It had a wooden platform that you climbed back on after Choco hauled your BC back on board. Davit and Choco are a little like a married couple, they constantly go back and forth with each other. We were very happy with the help they gave us on board and in the water. Davit can see some small stuff. The equipment storage room is nice and big and very close to the boat area.

David, the manager/owner made us feel very welcome. He greeted us at the boat house on our arrival, showed us around and got us settled in. Very much a my place is your place kinda feel from him. David offered to arrange a night away from the resort for karaoke and poker at a local resturant. We didn't go but a couple of the other guests did.

We had a good time our only disappointment,if you call it that, was we didn't see any turtles, sharks, or what I would call anything big. Lots of other smaller stuff, and the more time you spent looking the more stuff you could find. We only saw 2 other dive boats all week and they were during the morning surface interval hanging out in a protected bay from the wind.

Hope that helps
Jamie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom