lake erie sunken train cars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pieper1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
do any of you know about any sunken train cars located in lake erie? I remember when I was younger at least 15 years ago on a boat trip with my family stopping to snorkel at a position we found on the nav chart that was supposed to have sunken train cars. we never found anything but now I remember back and wonder what was it that was marked on that chart. I don't remember exactly where it was but I am guessing we were around kellys island or put in bay area. I have looked for info on this but never found anything. just wondering if anyone knows about the location I might be remembering. I am assuming if it was marked on a nav chart It would be a confirmed location. anyone know??

Two questions that I have. One why would there be train cars that bypass the Kelly's island channel? There were no railroad ferries in the western part of the lake that I am aware of. 2 there are only 5 railcar ferries that have sunk or ditched their cargo in severe weather in Lake Erie. Most notable ferry is the Marquette & Bessemer No2 that foundered in 1909 somewhere in the lake. The people to contact would be the Cleveland Underwater Explorers that document and hunt wrecks actively all over Erie. They have located many previously unknown wrecks that were supposed to be miles away and found new virgins next to well known sites. Also Gary Kozak who salvaged a number of wrecks would be a person to contact.

Back
Top Bottom