Which Rescue Class to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone, I have been thinking about taking the rescue diving course for over a year now and I thought I knew what I wanted now im unsure. First off I have heard that it is the best class for scuba divers and that you learn the most important skills so that is one reason I want to take it. That being said I was all set to sign up for it at one of my local dive shops, where it was offered for the cheapest price. But recently I have heard a few bad reviews about this shops training and at first thought "oh whatever, at least ill get the cert" but now im thinking otherwise. There are a bunch of shops around so I have options. I was wondering whether the agency I take it with matters and if everyone thinks I should go to a different shop. Paying more money but possibly coming out with more knowledge and a better experience. I have some options PADI, UTD, SSI, and TDI/SDI. So what do you guys think? Also if possibly what is a fair price for the course?

Thanks!

Come over to SoCal & Catalina Island for the best most comprehensive Rescue Diver Course:
Diving Emergencies.

Only Knowledge, Skill, and Practice resolve them. You get all three from the Emergency Response Diver course. The Emergency Response Diver program focuses on practical field experience - what can and should be done at the scene of a diving casualty.

You will learn:

The best way to handle a victim in the water.
How to administer effective CPR and first aid.
The techniques to use for beach and boat rescues.
How to make the best use of emergency oxygen.
How to efficiently manage the diving accident scene.
Specific methods for aiding victims of hypothermia, near-drowning, and other diving medical maladies.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

The Emergency Response Diver course is field-orientated. You'll spend most of your time at, near, or in the water practicing rescues; or in small groups mastering first aid, CPR, and emergency oxygen use. You'll learn how to direct people at a diving casualty scene, how to communicate effectively with rescue and emergency medical personnel, and how to coordinate transportation. You will apply what you learn in practical and realistic field simulations.

Continuing Education

Certifications for First Aid, CPR, AED, Oxygen Administration, and Rescue Diver are included with the course. 24 CMEs are available for DMTs

Accommodations

Accommodations and meals are included in the ERD tuition. ERD participants will be housed in the Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies dorm rooms and apartments. Meals are served in the Institute's cafeteria.

Tuition

The $675 fee for ERD covers tuition, room and board (Sunday pm - Friday noon). The course is restricted to 16 students. A $100 deposit is required to reserve a spot in the class. Refunds must be requested in writing. No refunds are issued after one month prior to the start of the class!

Home > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

Dennis,

I've looked into several of the shops around here for Rescue and my advice is find out who the instructor is and talk to the instructor. If you like what the instructor has to say go with whatever shop that instructor works with at that time.

Price really shouldn't be significantly different from one shop (or agency) to another and my personal opinion is the agency doesn't matter as much as the instructor and the information do.

I've taken PADI's rescue diver class and am in the process of SSI's stress and rescue class. I have found some significant differences. I'll post once I'm finished with the class on Saturday.

Hello everyone, I have been thinking about taking the rescue diving course for over a year now and I thought I knew what I wanted now im unsure. First off I have heard that it is the best class for scuba divers and that you learn the most important skills so that is one reason I want to take it. That being said I was all set to sign up for it at one of my local dive shops, where it was offered for the cheapest price. But recently I have heard a few bad reviews about this shops training and at first thought "oh whatever, at least ill get the cert" but now im thinking otherwise. There are a bunch of shops around so I have options. I was wondering whether the agency I take it with matters and if everyone thinks I should go to a different shop. Paying more money but possibly coming out with more knowledge and a better experience. I have some options PADI, UTD, SSI, and TDI/SDI. So what do you guys think? Also if possibly what is a fair price for the course?

Thanks!
If you can't come to Southern Calif as above, then I recommend UTD Instructor Jon Edwardsen out there where you are in Rockville MD.

http://submergedonline.com/rescue-diver.html

I had a student come from Delaware the last time I put a class on. He felt it was worth it as we also had a pharmacist, Physicians assistant, combat medic, and a whole family of victims to work with. The thing about the class is that much of the emphasis needs to be on preventing an accident. So situational awareness should be a very big part of it. I also like to have people in as many different types of gear as possible. Single tank in jacket, Back inflate, and BPW, doubles, wetsuits and drysuits, and this year if I get the chance to put one on or do a refresher weekend for those who want it, I will be in Sidemount.

If you can't come to Southern Calif as above, then I recommend UTD Instructor Jon Edwardsen out there where you are in Rockville MD.

Rescue Diver - Maryland scuba diving classes and dive shop serving MD, VA, DC at Submerged

This was one of the shops I was thinking about going to because it is so close and I have talked with them before and I liked how knowledgeable and helpful they seemed.

Also Jim does your shop have a website. I'd consider driving up to PA depending on how far the drive is!

That being said I was all set to sign up for it at one of my local dive shops, where it was offered for the cheapest price. But recently I have heard a few bad reviews about this shops training and at first thought "oh whatever, at least ill get the cert" but now im thinking otherwise.

Good for you thinking otherwise. Two bits of advice ...

1. Never shop for a class based on the cheapest price. It might be a good class, but you generally get what you pay for. Dive shops are in business to make money, and quality costs money. Pay less, expect less ... it usually works out that way.
2. Never take a class for the cert card ... if you aren't in it for the skills and knowledge, don't waste your money. Cert cards might give you access, but unless you've gotten some quality out of the class getting that access may not be a good idea.

#2 especially applies to Rescue ... which, if run right, could turn out to be the most important class you'll ever take.

Every agency has the ability to offer you a good Rescue class ... depending on the instructor you take it with. Choose a good instructor, don't worry so much about the agency they work for.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Every agency has the ability to offer you a good Rescue class ... depending on the instructor you take it with. Choose a good instructor, don't worry so much about the agency they work for.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That makes a lot of sense. Now for another question. How do I know if the course will be good before I take it? I'm willing to go talk to them but I think they would all try and sell their course right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom