What you think about this, is it possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AdamXXL

Registered
Reaction score
Researchers at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), an agency of the United States Department of Defense responsible for the development of new military technologies, are now tasked with developing scuba gear and microsystems to help enable navy divers to perform in extreme conditions, and aid against decompression sickness or sudden death due to reaching the surface too quickly.

http://www.psfk.com/2013/01/navy-diving-aquaman.html#!xKzar

First of all, who am I to say what DARPA is capable of developing?

That said, I had never heard of any of the techniques and devices being incorporated into a diver's gear. I hope they work, but I think it will take a long time before we see any of that available to the general public.

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. The question is whether or not it's worth throwing enough money at it.

If the military is willing to throw money at it.. Itll work in a few decades after several different ways of horribly failing and a few billion dollars :p

parachute deployment from 35,000 feet, then a combat dive down to 200 feet at seawater for at least two hours. After reaching the surface, the diver must go down twice with increasing depths at shorter intervals, and also withstand extraction in an unpressurized aircraft below 14,000 feet mean sea level

I did this yesterday after breakfast, it was no big deal.

MIMITW

Can't think of a single way to accelerate deco past using 02 as a deco gas,the physics of tissue saturation are pretty well established.I know they will give it all they got,I grew up in a ARPA,DARPA,FAA,NASA and USAF family.Budgets were rarely an issue.

Can't think of a single way to accelerate deco past using 02 as a deco gas,the physics of tissue saturation are pretty well established.I know they will give it all they got,I grew up in a ARPA,DARPA,FAA,NASA and USAF family.Budgets were rarely an issue.

A specially designed decompression chamber to wear while diving.

The money is in making it practical, it will keep a lot of people in jobs until it works or another project comes along.

Bob

So the problem (that causes DCS and other scuba maladies) is that we need to breathe compressed gas underwater. From my understanding, the only reason we need to breathe compressed gas underwater is because our diaphragms are not strong enough to overcome the added ambient resistance of water bearing down on us (kind of like trying to suck on a 6 foot straw underwater). And so if we could somehow allow 1 BAR air to flow into our lungs at 200ft, all is good. I've always wondered: Is it the actual pressure against the chest cavity that prevents the diaphragm from functioning? If so, could they create a device that would relieve some of this pressure and allow the diaphragm to expand (or contract?) while always delivering air at 1 BAR?

Things to ponder....

So the problem (that causes DCS and other scuba maladies) is that we need to breathe compressed gas underwater. From my understanding, the only reason we need to breathe compressed gas underwater is because our diaphragms are not strong enough to overcome the added ambient resistance of water bearing down on us (kind of like trying to suck on a 6 foot straw underwater). And so if we could somehow allow 1 BAR air to flow into our lungs at 200ft, all is good. I've always wondered: Is it the actual pressure against the chest cavity that prevents the diaphragm from functioning? If so, could they create a device that would relieve some of this pressure and allow the diaphragm to expand (or contract?) while always delivering air at 1 BAR?

Things to ponder....

They have, It's called a submarine. :)

(I know that you are not referring to a sub, but I couldn't resist. sorry!)

Last edited:
Now if they could make a donnable sub instead of your camos...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom