How to keep ears dry on a liveaboard? AKA how not to get swimmers ear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Going in a few months on a liveaboard for a week, they dive up to 5 times a day.

I never dove with such frequency, will my ears give me problems from being constantly wet inside? What is the best way to combat this?

we always use a solution of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% white vinegar after each dive. we use a medicine dropper and apply a small amount in one ear, leave it in your ear for about 30 seconds and turn your head sideways to let it drain out. Then do the same for your other ear.

never had a problem since we started using this method

Seems like every diver on SB has their own special recipe but vann evans has it right. Best bet is 50/50. The alcohol helps dry and can aid in eliminating any bacteria present. The vinegar helps make the canal less attractive for bacterial or fungal growth. Double whammy.

Add a few drops of glycerin to the 50/50 solution suggested above. This prevents over-drying by the alcohol, which can lead to small fissures in the skin and a maddening itch.

Drops are OK. What you want to do is dry the ear without a lot of water, so use mostly alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, or "rubbing alcohol") with a little bit of white vinegar to drop the pH and make your ear canal less hospitable to the common pseudomonas bacteria that often lives there. Say, a pint of alcohol with a few tablespoons of vinegar.

However, I don't recommend using this regularly for prevention, a thin layer of earwax is actually helpful in preventing swimmer's ear, and this can strip it out. I recommend this...

eardryer.jpeg

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Ever bin at the beach all day?
what about standing out in the rain all day?
Do you have a history of ear problems?

If not then I suggest you should not panic prematurely.

There is nothing too magical about a live aboard. You will have lots of time to dry out between dives. Most liveaboards offer 5 dives a day, but few divers do all dives during the week.

Add a few drops of glycerin to the 50/50 solution suggested above. This prevents over-drying by the alcohol, which can lead to small fissures in the skin and a maddening itch.

This is what works for me. The glycerin really helps the drying.

I have picked up swimmers ear diving, snorkeling or in the pool well over a couple dozen time. Each time I needed antibiotics and endured some rather nasty pain. I have a hearing loss now, most likely from these or other stupid things like lack of hearing protection (hence the name Grumpy). With me, its about a 1:50 change of taking a hit after a water activity. Diving is worst case, but snorkeling, swimming and surfing have all triggered it. When I rinse with the above, it is 0% chance. Not really and option any more. In a pinch, straight rubbing alcohol works too.

I'm with geffink on this one. I've rarely had a problem and don't treat my ears. If you often have problems that is different but if you don't, probably don't need to fret.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom