West end vs. West bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arsalan Ahmed

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm interested in finding out, only from the point of view of diving, which location is better to stay at. I've heard the diving is quite different depending on which side you stay on.

Maybe better is the wrong word as its subjective. What are the differences? Visibility, coral, fish life, experience?

Also, how far are the beaches from the west end?

West Bay is on the same side as the West End. (northwest)

The contrast you're looking for is probably the West Bay/End vs. the South Side.
The reef structure is very different north vs. south.

In general terms the difference is the north is slightly rougher, often more larger stuff like turtles, cuda, grouper, etc. Diving is occassionally shut down by storms in the winter on the north side, almost never on the south. The bigger shops with the resources will move their boats south, the panga operators just wait it out.

The south has been described as shallow macro diving in some areas. The south east also sees wild dolphins and infrequently whales. The only sharks seen off Roatan are at the shark dive on the south side and Anthony's Key on the north has the dolphins. The "signature" dive on Roatan is arguably Mary's Place on the south side. Whale sharks are an infrequent occurrence, more prevalent off Utila.

All this is a generalization - review my previous posts, posts by Doc and other Roatan regulars for more detail.

The East End is harder to get to so more pristine also. Not as settled, not as dove, Generally supposed to be good diving in that area. Most day boats from the resorts do not go out there regularly. Some run special trips, usually charging extra. A couple of the NE side resorts do go there infrequently.
Also, how far are the beaches from the west end?
Half Moon Bay Beach is the West End. But it's not a very nice beach, narrow with a road running just behind it. Both ends of the bay are low ironshore cliffs. Most of the dive shops/stores/resorts are on the other side of the road from the beach. Even the properties that list beach access - such as Posada Arco Iris - require you to walk across the road to their beach area. It's a thin beach with several docks bisecting it.

The beach in West Bay is the nicest on Roatan - the one that gets written up in all the tripadvisor reviews - because that's where the cruise excursions go. It's 2 miles from the center of the West End to the center of West Bay. The road between them isn't especially safe for walking at night but there's cabs available most of the night in the West End. There's also a water taxi that runs between the docks on both beaches till about 9PM or later. Sand flies are a problem on both beaches.

Last edited:
Thanks

Would you say that it is walkwable during the day and we could catch a water taxi at night? I'm looking at splash dive inn right now (well priced, well reviewed). Do you prefer the diving on the north side then?

Here's the problem with walking as I understand it. The road from the West End to West Bay first goes inland a decent distance before turning back west towards West Bay. I was on it once going the other way and it's pretty isolated - and would be very dark at night. I've read of robberies there at night also. The taxi stand for the West End is in front of Coconut Tree Divers - maybe 100 yds. east of Splash Inn - maybe less? A cab would be a few dollars - always negotiable except to fixed destinations like Airport->West End - that's currently $25 afaik.

Here's a Google Maps view. The West End is under the red arrow for Splash Inn - right where the "d" is in West End is the cab stand. I used a Spoiler so it doesn't jam the page.
Capture.jpg

I may have been wrong about how late the Water Taxi's run also - or maybe it changed. I'm sure I saw a water taxi one night around 8PM but this indicates they only run until 5PM. West End Water Taxi Association, West End, Roatan, Honduras - Go Blue

Here's a good idea of how far it is also. Takin' a Water Taxi Ride West Bay Beach - YouTube

We only did two dives on the south side, Mary's Place and Prince Albert at Cocoview. So I don't have a lot of experience to compare. Seemed like there was more bigger stuff off the West End. Texas was about the best dive we did off the tip of the West End. Bucho's Bank was another nearby.

Last edited:
We've walked from West End to West Bay along the beach as well as on the road. The beach is the nicest, but I wouldn't do either at night. You do have to cross a bit of ironshore in places so just have some footwear that you don't mind getting a bit wet if the tide is in. There's also a walking bridge over a small canal that you might not like if you're bothered at all by heights.

THanks everyone. So it sounds like diving from the west inn (splash inn) should be great and i have nothing to worry about.

My wife and I are in Roatan this week staying at the north end of West Bay. The beauty of either West End or West Bay is that the operators will dive the entire West Bay/West End to some of the North side. We will take a special dive excursion to dive Mary's Place and the Prince Albert later this week, but have dove from the Black Rock to the El Aguila so far this week. Weather and water has been great!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom