Harold's Mansion vrs Mike's in Dauin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The reviews on Trip Advisor for Harold's range from great to terrible....the day trips are an amazing price and so are the rooms. I was planning on staying at Mike's in Dauin but the prices are just so much cheaper at Harold's......is this one of those cases where you get what you pay for?? If anyone has stayed or dove with them it would be great to hear your thoughts. I don't party, I don't even drink...so lot's of noise from the roof top terrace might be a problem...the reviews say the breakfast is bad but I'm not concerned with the food...free coffee, water and tea all day is great. Single little bed with a fan is fine. I just want great diving and great prices....just giving an idea of what I'm looking for...if Mike's is just better all around I am willing to shell out a little more money.
Thanks.

The reviews on Trip Advisor for Harold's range from great to terrible..
I have never stayed in that place.
The place is catered for budget travellers and some of them might not are scuba divers. So they can stay up late and drinks are dirt cheap in the country!!!! However, you are free to roam the city at night unlike those in Dauin.
Liquid in Dauin has very good reviews and they reply your e-mail more or less instantly. But you might have to pay single room supplement. Please enquire.

I've stayed at Harolds, and dived with them - and I rated them 5stars on trip advisor! It is cheap, but to be honest I didn't have a problem with anything there. And for what I paid, I felt I got a fair deal. The rooms were clean, staff were friendly, and when in my room I couldn't hear anything from the rooftop. It is designed for budget travellers - there are dorms as well as private rooms. Plus as centrals pointed out, you have easy access to the city.

I also dived with them. Their local guide was friendly, informative about the dive sites and marine life, and pointed out all the macro critters as well as a bunch of other stuff we would not have spotted on our own.

I've no experience of Mike's or liquid, so have nothing to compare it to. Not sure what your standards are for accom - they may differ to mine! But I was really happy with the service, price and product at Harolds.

Not sure this makes your decision easier or harder, but hope it helps, and enjoy your trip :)

Harolds and Mike's(or Liquid) are 2 completely different things. Harolds is in the city, and they have to bus you out to the dive sites everyday. Mike's or Liquid are "beach" resorts right at the dive areas. So personally I don't think they are comparable and that is why Harolds is much cheaper.

If you want to be able to party at night and enjoy the Dumaguete City nightlife then stay at Harolds. If you are happy to chill in the resort and like being at the beach then stay in Dauin at one of the place which is designed for diving and where accommodations are probably a bit better.

Thanks everyone!! I think it will depend on how I feel at that point in my trip and how my budget is doing since this is towards the end of my trip. I prefer staying on the beach but Im glad to have a cheaper alternative if i need it.

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 04:21 PM ----------

Liquid's got great deals too as long as I stay at a place called Drill Shack which is a few minutes away for dirt cheap. They don't go to Oslob though (well, they will arrange it for you but only by private transfer which is very expensive).

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 04:25 PM ----------

Liquid's got great deals too as long as I stay at a place called Drill Shack which is a few minutes away for dirt cheap. They don't go to Oslob though (well, they will arrange it for you but only by private transfer which is very expensive). I want quiet and peace at night....the sound of the waves.....so I guess that makes it Mike's or Liquid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom