Triathlon Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshvet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been diving about 3 years but only in the cold Northeast. As such, I only dive dry. I am finally going to experience warm water diving in Belize later this month. I was considering buying a 3ml full suit (My LDS recommended that over a shortie) when I remembered I had a full Tri wetsuit. The only difference I could see is that the armpits have a very thin fabric vs the suit itself. Is there any reason NOT to use this suit for this one trip? Thanks

These articles:
SCUBA Diving Wetsuits
and:
Triathlon Wetsuits FAQ | Tri Wetsuits
imply the triathlon wetsuit’s neoprene won’t hold up as well under pressure at depth, nor to general abrasion. They also talk about buoyant panels in the triathlon wetsuit, which seem unnecessary for scuba, and could affect trim.

You might want to consider how likely you are to use the triathlon suit in the future, and if not, try to get a pool session to see if/how your buoyancy/trim is affected.

It should be more stretchy and compressible.
Also, triathlon suits are very fragile on the exterior. The neoprene is not protected and you can easily cut it (even nails are enough to make cuts).

Tri suits are much thinner and not made to be used under water in that it looses it's thermal properties with compression. I think you'll be much happier diving even with an inexpensive 3mm full. You could always write Ironman on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been diving about 3 years but only in the cold Northeast. As such, I only dive dry. I am finally going to experience warm water diving in Belize later this month. I was considering buying a 3ml full suit (My LDS recommended that over a shortie) when I remembered I had a full Tri wetsuit. The only difference I could see is that the armpits have a very thin fabric vs the suit itself. Is there any reason NOT to use this suit for this one trip? Thanks

The tri suit will be stretchy, soft neoprene and quite fragile. It will compress rapidly and provide no warmth for SCUBA. Get a suit designed for SCUBA. I have a tri suit, swimming with it in saltwater makes me feel like a motorboat. But, nio good for SCUBA.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom