Ice Diving in Lake Baikal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sidne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
[FONT=&quot]Has anyone been ice diving in Lake Baikal?

I'll be in Russia for work in about 10 days and will have a little time to be a tourist afterwards. I'm planning on visiting Lake Baikal.

I wasn't planning on diving during the trip, but the tour agent I'm using to make my arrangements noticed that I'm certified (it's in my .sig) and suggested the following as an option:

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Alternative possibility (our instructor with group will be doing ice dives at the end of March in Olkhon, if the dates suites this can be a possibility):
- Introduction Ice Dives for non-certified (no Ice Diver certificate) divers:
1 dive: 5000 rubles + equipment rent 1600 rubles
[/FONT]

[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]I told him that it sounded interesting but I didn't think I have the appropriate training. I'm PADI AOW with about 100 dives (all warm water ocean). I have never done an Ice Dive (I am not a certified ice diver) and I have never dove in a drysuit or in an overhead environment (ice, cave, etc.).

[/FONT]His reply:
The diving with no experience and certificate is possible. Ice-diving with two instructors, dry-suite and the depth will be no more than 9 meters. I mention the diving here only as a possibility if the instructors will do the group diving on the same date and exact location in Olkhon as according to our program. The decision is up to you and you should decide on the place, anytime.- Introduction Ice Dives for non-certified (no Ice Diver certificate) divers: 1 dive: 5000 rubles + equipment rent 1600 rubles.

Before I say I'm definitely not interested, I thought I'd check for possible advice here. I am unlikely to ever have this opportunity again. I'm unlikely to visit Siberia and, if I do, I'm unlikely to have the time to travel on my own or to be there when ice diving is a possibility.

I know there is a Russian destination forum, but there is little traffic there and my question is really more about my own experience than Russia, I think.

Looking forward to any advice.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom