I am skeptical about a close friend of mine and her diving experience.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weeze20

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would first like to state that I am not a diver. However, I just recently started dating a woman who claims to be a "Master Diver" who says she is an active diver. Some of the things she says seem to be completely false. For instance, she said that she is often paid exorbitant amounts of money (60,000 if you include living expenses, diving expenses etc etc) to survey shipwrecks that are documented in the Caribbean during hurricanes, etc. in order to make sure they remain stable during the storm. She also claims to have swam in a tank of sharks to receive her license etc. Now I know that the majority of this is completely ridiculous from the amount of research I have done, and getting to know her more I can tell she is an exaggerator. I would just like to know if there is any validity to anything she has said...

Also, I am not sure if age comes into play, but she's 22 and claims to have started diving at 14.

Thanks

There's meme advising people not to stick their d!ck in the crazy. I think the advice may be appropriate here.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

It is possible to start diving at 14 but in order to rack up a decent amount of diving between then and 22 she would have needed quite a bit of pocket money or some wealthy parents who invested heavily in her diving education, equipment & experience. For the kind of job you are explaining (if it exists) I would be very surprised if a 22 yr old has managed to rack up the credentials and contacts in order to pick up a paid gig of that nature.

There is no license I know of that requires swimming in a shark tank in order to get it

You can get certified as young as ten years old, and many divers swim in large aquariums or metal cages in the sea with sharks. I know a diver who survey's wrecks for the National Park system, so it's possible she's telling the truth. Then again, I've met a lot of divers claiming to be Navy Seals, so who knows?

“Master Diver” is nothing to brag about unless the title is preceded by “US Navy”. You can get the card with as few as 50 dives.

Master Scuba Diver Development Program | SDI | TDI | ERDI

No Scuba diver gets paid that kind of money to survey shipwrecks. That kind of work is done by commercial surface supplied divers. Besides, nobody can “make sure they remain stable during the storm” or do much about it if they were unstable. Getting started at 14 is not uncommon.

Usually “sea stories” like this come from testosterone fueled males trying to gain a lady’s favors. Interesting.

Last edited:
I say stay in the relationship for a little while for the entertainment, and then be prepared to run like hell.

There is a difference between "master diver" and "divemaster". The later being the start of getting paid (professional). But neither are "commercial" diving. Need more info on what she is talking about.

60k is livable, I'd take that pay-cut to swim around wrecks. Where do I send my resume?

We all know people like that. There's a saying that a good story doesn't have to be true ... it just has to be entertaining.

I'd say your friend is being entertaining ... only you can decide how much you value her entertainment, but I'd recommend not taking much of what she tells you seriously ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I call bull****.

As mentioned, master diver is nothing at all to boast about... a piece of plastic that simply means its owner has completed a handful of specialties under the guidance of an Open Water instructor. The process is simple and participants rarely fail because there are no skills required. Even Divemaster is an entry-level qualification.

I have been lucky enough to get paid to survey dive sites for departments of tourism and government departments. It is unclear what 60,000 means since I don't have a clue which currency your girlfriend is talking about... but Euros, Pounds, American or Canadian dollars. No way... Rupees, perhaps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom