Entry-level BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
I am inclined to go with a BP/W instead of a vest BCD, but I have no experience with a BP/W and no knowledge about what a reasonable set up is.

Assume single tank use in the ocean (Monterey Bay) and a full 7/5 wetsuit with a 5 mm hooded vest.

How much lift is needed from the wings?

Is steel better than aluminum in this instance because the additional weight will reduce the amount of lead needed?

Is a pad needed between the plate and your back?

Are there different wing shapes, and does the shape matter?

Are there different harness configurations, and if so, what are the pro's and cons of the different styles.

Any recommendations for entry-level BP/W setups?

Hi Ricky, I recommend and use a steel plate, thirty to forty pound single tank wing, one piece harness aka hog or hogarthian harness. I wear a 7/5mm wetsuit or a crushed neoprene drysuit. There is no need for a pad for the backplate, that will just mean you need extra lead.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I would plan on a 30 or 35lb lift wing for a big guy. You may be able to calculate that you need less now, but gear config changes as you dive. You are in a cold area and you will either develop a fine collection of neoprene or dive dry so less than 30 is not practical, more than 35/40 is not needed for single tanks. No padding is needed. I find little difference between oval and U shaped (have both). A steel plate is best for cold water diving. AL is for travel or tropics. Tobin at DSS puts together nice packages if you want one person / company putting it all together. I did not use him cause I am a cheap bastard and saved a bit by order a package from Scuba Toys.

There are many excellent choices in BP/W out there for single-tank recreational diving. Some of the newer companies like HOG and Hollis offer quality packages at a very good price. DSS is a great setup that comes with the innovations that Tobin is famous for. Halcyon is expensive, but offers that cinch system that a lot of people like.

If you're going to dive cold water, then listen to those who have recommended a steel backplate. It helps take some of your ballast off your hips and put it over your lungs, nicely compensating for your built-in BCD. In a cold-water environment where you're wearing a lot of insulation, and therefore a lot of weight, this matters a lot.

Those who have recommended a 30-40 lb wing are in the right ballpark ... this is one place where bigger is definitely not better. You want a wing that can provide you appropriate lift for surface swimming, while providing a slim profile underwater, and with little to no "taco" effect when diving. This means a wing that's relatively long and slender. Avoid "combo" wings ... those that are marketed as suitable for both singles and doubles. The compromises they have to put into a wing for that application make it not ideal for either, since wing will be wider and the panel will be large enough to accommodate doubles. Sure it'll work ... but it'll make you work harder to maintain trim, and it'll provide more surface area for you to push through the water. Bungee wings aren't ideal, as they tend to produce wrinkles and places to trap air. Yes, you can learn how to manage that drawback ... but why would you want to have to?

The nice thing about a BP/W system is that they're modular ... you can mix and match to suit your needs. In descending order of price, my recommendations would be to look at Halcyon, Deep See Supply (DSS), Hollis, and HOG systems. There are several others out there, but these are the ones I'm most familiar with and therefore most comfortable recommending. Oxycheq also makes a nice system, but then you have to deal with Oxycheq ... who I have found to not have a customer service record that I'm comfortable with. Then again, there's little on a BP/W that can break.

For simplicity, choose a standard once-piece harness. That way when it wears out it'll cost you about $20 to replace it, and you can do it yourself with about 30 minutes worth of effort.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Any recommendations for entry-level BP/W setups?

The good news is... there's no need for an "entry level" BP/W. In fact there really is no such thing*, in that a BP/W that you might use during your OW class can take you all the way up through full tec/wreck/cave training if you're so inclined. We put OW students in the same Halcyon rig that I wear to do deep tech dives with multiple stage bottles, reels, lights, etc. With ZERO modification having been made to the system.

*I guess technically one might consider the "deluxe" type systems with extra, unnecessary buckles, straps, padding, etc as "entry level" in that for the most part they are purchased by inexperienced divers who don't know any better. For many divers (most, in my experience) as they progress and learn more they start stripping these things off the system until they end up with the simple rig that they should have bought in the first place. In this fashion, you will pay a penalty up-front for buying more than you need as an entry-level system... and then pay more over time to swap out the unnecessary bits for the simpler stuff. "Buy it right... or buy it twice."

Forget them all. Unless your going to dive doubles there are many great back mounted bcd's available from almost all manufactures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forget them all. Unless your going to dive doubles there are many great back mounted bcd's available from almost all manufactures.

And if you're going to dive nothing but singles... a BP/W is still a great option. One which is preferred, by many, over even the best back-inflate BCDs.

I only dive singles and evolved from the old horse collar POS to AT/PAC to jacket BCD to back mounted BCD to BP/Wing. Each was an improvement IMHO. The BP/W tends to give you the best bang for the buck. Add that it is compact form factor and its a winner in my book. Many of the current back mounted BCDs I have owned/rented try to be all things to all people and end up pricey and bulky. A few of the travel rigs eliminate the bulk, but still have the price and don't cut it for cold water diving. The back mounted BCD's are easier to buy and set up for a novice which is a plus for some.

You can't get any simpler than a BPW. As RJP said forget the ones with gimmicks you don't need. And all those back inflate style BC's will require you to replace the whole dang thing if something goes wrong with it. They will also lose most of their value in a year or two. They are not infinitely adjustable like a BPW. And more than few of them are twice the price for less than half the actual features you will use.
PM me your email. I'll send you the article I wrote on BPW's for new divers. It's too big to post here on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom