Best method to carry a 13 cu ft pony with reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffWaldrop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How is a pony bottle, 13 cu ft in my interest, carried? I have seen some divers attach two brass snap hooks diag across the front attached to BCD. Is this the preferred method? Your thoughts?

Jeff W Waldrop

Stage configuration (clipping the pony on to front BCD) is a proven method, used by technical divers to carry stage/deco cylinders. However, the effectiveness of that method primarily depends on the BCD used; and whether it has suitable attachment points - many (most?) jacket-style recreational BCDs don't have those points.

However, it isn't "diagonal across the front" - it is parallel to the side, clipped off at the hip and shoulder d-rings (if they exist).

The benefits of stage configuration for pony is that the cylinder is in front of you. The valve and spg can be manipulated and viewed, hose management is neater (hose is stowed along the cylinder unless required), the cylinder can be donned/doffed on demand (passed down from a boat etc).

Stage configuration (clipping the pony on to front BCD) is a proven method, used by technical divers to carry stage/deco cylinders. However, the effectiveness of that method primarily depends on the BCD used; and whether it has suitable attachment points - many (most?) jacket-style recreational BCDs don't have those points.

However, it isn't "diagonal across the front" - it is parallel to the side, clipped off at the hip and shoulder d-rings (if they exist).

The benefits of stage configuration for pony is that the cylinder is in front of you. The valve and spg can be manipulated and viewed, hose management is neater (hose is stowed along the cylinder unless required), the cylinder can be donned/doffed on demand (passed down from a boat etc).

Not necessarily - I know plenty of divers that carry stages in this manner, usually when carrying steel cylinders which of course are negatively buoyant in the water. It is not a method I choose as it causes clutter, however, some divers still do it.

I agree that slinging a pony is the best place to put it.

I think I've tried all methods! Clamps to the tank, little bags attached to the cam straps, etc. The two clips on the pony and a BC with a hip and a shoulder D-ring are absolutely the best. Pony on the left side, hose around the back of the head hanging on a bungee necklace, pony turned on....ready to go at a moment's notice, no fuss, totally out of the way. Works with a 13 and much larger, too.

I use a 13ft3 pony on my 20M and less depth dives and side sling it as DD mentions above.

Before I moved to BPW I had suitable D rings on my BC (Mares) to do this also. In the past I have also clamped it to my main tank but access to it was never as good as to having it on my left hand side.

My suggestion is to try it in various configurations and discover which is the easiest to operate it when you need it, you will soon discover what works better for you.

I carry my pony slung on my left where my 50% would be on a tech dive. If you do have a shoulder and waist D ring, there is no reason to spend $60 on a commercial tank sling, this link will show you how to rig it for about $12.00. Hope it helps.

DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

some idiotic ramblings regarding a couple points of the sling configuration:

1. modular - there is a place for it should you elect to use a pony. No extra parts or pieces when not in use (brackets on tanks/bands, etc.).
2. using "slung" rigging, it can be "handed off" and attached to the recipient (if you intend it as an option for someone else). there are reasons this may be beneficial.
3. location - the left slung has its reasons. I challenged this for two years, slinging on my right side. I felt it was "better" there as it didn't get in the way of LPI, SPG, etc. Plus, being a lefty, it just felt right to me over there and my dexterity... Then I trapped a hose one day kitting up..... no event or injury, but it was a realization....

Understand it, know it, practice with it.

YMMV

I bought a 13 steel for myself over Christmas. I am rigging in as a DIR sling. I like this for a couple of reasons. First, I like having gear where I can see and reach it. having it in front let's you make sure it doesn't get hung up on anything and with a button gauge and single 2nd stage it is uncomplicated. Also, having it in front allows it to help counter the weight of the tank hanging off your back, making you more stable out of the water. when I was trying it out, I was really pleased with how comfortable and it felt. I also liked that I already had all the components.

I attach it to the tank and have the 2nd stage mouthpiece on a rope around my neck. I just prefer this to slinging.

Back
Top Bottom