I am looking for help and advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gill-ross

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to scuba...

I am looking for help an advice...
I want to get into the industry as an instructor eventually...
Willing to do OW to DM then work a while gaining more experience and dives then do IDC
Was think of doing the internship on koh toa but having spent a few hours on this site realising this May not be the best option for employability ? Don't mind where I do it( warm water preferably) I just want the best chance and the best education? Also looking into a language and boat skills too...

Please please any advice is most helpful!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Gill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take an open water course. Do a bunch of diving. Do AOW and Rescue. Do a bunch of diving. Do a bunch more diving. Before you even think about becoming a DM or an instructor, you want diving to be second nature, so you don't have to think about things. You shouldn't have to worry about things like your buoyancy. If something happens, you need to be able to maintain your position and sort it out. if someone needs gas, your response should be second nature.

The reason for doing it all at once was because I want to get into the industry and live in the middle of the country... Is there anywhere you recommend for doing these qualifications?

The reason for doing it all at once was because I want to get into the industry and live in the middle of the country... Is there anywhere you recommend for doing these qualifications?

Look, I'm not trying to sound harsh, just trying to be truthful. You're not even certified. You have no idea if you like diving. I have seen too many DMs and instructors who have done precisely what you're thinking about doing. I wouldn't dive in the most benign of conditions with them. Because they can't dive. They're full of bad habits and passing them onto the people they are instructing. You cannot expect yourself to be able to look after and teach people to dive when you are still learning to dive yourself. As a DM/Instructor, you are meant to be a role model.
I have just hit 350 dives and have just started my DM training. I am out diving every weekend (and I don't live in some tropical paradise, try the UK). Instructors like working with me because they don't have to worry about me. I can hover motionless wherever I'm needed, and react quickly to anything that may happen. I know about different kit configurations, and can explain them easily. Frankly, I know a bit about diving. No, I'm not an expert, I never claimed to be. But, I do a lot of diving and have been diving long enough to be able to answer student questions and to be a role model.

There are zero to hero programs out there. However as mentioned before I would not recommend it. They "preferably warm" portion also scares me. We don't know where you live but you would be probably able to find local diving almost anywhere. It probably won't be warm or great visibility but you will learn skills in such waters that you can't in warm waters with great visibility.

Let us know where you live and we can probably point you out towards a place where you can do your OW and if you like it continue to AOW etc.

Look, I'm not trying to sound harsh, just trying to be truthful. You're not even certified.

When I went to university I chose to study computer science and committed to a study that took 6 years and round-about $25,000 (in the mid-80's) to complete

I came out of it with a degree in computer science and English literature. I had never worked as a programmer. I had no idea if it was going to be my dream job.....or if I could even survive being cooped up every day with geeks.

I don't think my case is any different than most people. Most of us decide what we are going to do with our lives before we're trained to do it.

A little research, however, doesn't hurt. Gill, are you aware of the earning potential of scuba instructors? It's well under minimum wage. Would you still be passionate about teaching if you could make more money working at McDonalds?

R..

Hi
I am new to scuba...

I am looking for help an advice...
I want to get into the industry as an instructor eventually...
Willing to do OW to DM then work a while gaining more experience and dives then do IDC
Was think of doing the internship on koh toa but having spent a few hours on this site realising this May not be the best option for employability ? Don't mind where I do it( warm water preferably) I just want the best chance and the best education? Also looking into a language and boat skills too...

Please please any advice is most helpful!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Gill
Good Morning Gill ~~ If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive place to join the diving community check out Utila, in The Bay Islands. I have lived here for years and know all of the dive shops (but not tied to one in specific). This island is a mecca of sorts in the dive industry and is quite well known. Major advantages for many students here is that the island is primarily English speaking, relatively cheap, great education levels available and our IDC classes are small enough to get individual attention. Oh, and the water is warm....

I live in South Africa or am trying to.. Originally from scotland I am back here trying to earn money to start this new career ! I am aware of the earnings of instructors but as it stands I work in bars earning that anyway so I would rather have a job I love for the same money! Rather than one I dread... I have looked into doing my open water here but has worked out more than double the price, trying to look into dive schools around the world too but just want the best start for my career and don't want to go Thailand if everyone's cv'a are binned... As I have read on other posts!
Also looking into boating qualifications in Cape Town to help me on my way! Would this be useful? Or a waste of money?
Thanks for your help.. :)

I live in South Africa or am trying to.. Originally from scotland I am back here trying to earn money to start this new career ! I am aware of the earnings of instructors but as it stands I work in bars earning that anyway so I would rather have a job I love for the same money! Rather than one I dread... I have looked into doing my open water here but has worked out more than double the price, trying to look into dive schools around the world too but just want the best start for my career and don't want to go Thailand if everyone's cv'a are binned... As I have read on other posts!
Also looking into boating qualifications in Cape Town to help me on my way! Would this be useful? Or a waste of money?
Thanks for your help.. :)

You do realise South Africa is cold water diving...

Also, not sure where you are in Scotland, but there is absolutely amazing diving in your part of the country. I can't wait to make it up there for a bit of diving.

Yes I realise this but SA is where my house is I aim to work abroad central scotland there is a diving club near by I want to go to as well but work doesn't permit at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom