What will divers do to assist Malaysian plane crash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonniex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just in case anyone hasn't heard the Chinese government has released some photos of a possible crash sight for the now missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 do you think divers may eventually play a role in this search effort?
bdc_0312satellite_179x100.jpg

Was also wondering if any divers out there have first hand knowledge of what its like to be a diver in one of these events. How do you prepare yourself for such a mission? It sounds like the waters there in Malaysia are not too deep. Recreational divers could assist the International Red Cross? I did learn some things about the Red Cross and their charter does mention disasters like this in their mission statement.

There surely could be some local people there who could assist in the search. Looking above and below the water line under while merely needing a PADI open water certification and some basic gear. The real life deep sea search has to be done with the help of submarine I am sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

- Jon

sigpic197015_1.gif

divesummit
"People protect what they love." - Jacques Cousteau

Divers assisting a search is unlikely, perhaps in recovering vital parts and bodies if the wreckage is at a suitable depth, assuming of course it has crashed at sea and not abducted by aliens or the survivors now re-enacting the "Lost" series.

If they have found some floating debris then this will be more useful Side-scan sonar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Avg depth of the Pacific is over 10k feet. I hope they're properly certified. :wink:

I do remember divers assisting in the recovery of the ValuJet Flight 592 (in the Everglades) and TWA Flight 800 (off New York) crashes. I don't remember what happened w. Alaska Flight 261 (near Los Angeles).

I doubt divers will play a significant role unless the crash site is shallower than 300'.

Although putting the approximate crash location on a NOAA depth chart shows that the depths may be around 40m/130', so whether or not divers are used, probably depends on what other toys are available.

I seriously doubt recreational divers will not be included in any efforts - they would be more of a hinderance than help. It is my understanding that the water depth along the original flight path is in 200-300 foot range. As such, commercial divers could be utilized. If you want to know what recovery divers go through go talk your local sheriff's dive team. Sometime ago I read a first hand account from one of the divers who worked the TWA Flight 800. It was grim.

the latest new i heard in Florida, usa was that that there was nothing at that location....has anyone heard anything else?

the latest new i heard in Florida, usa was that that there was nothing at that location....has anyone heard anything else?

I haven't, and should have worded my last post better, since it is not a crash site yet...if ever.

Sounds like a job for ROVs

According to a CNN article i read last night, the Vietnam sent a crew to the coordinates but did not find anything.

China apparently mistakenly published the images, no debris has been found. lots of conspiracy theories around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom