Body suit under wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen on some dive shop websites a suggestion to wear a bodysuit under a wetsuit to make it easier to get in and out of a wetsuit, particularly if the wetsuit is wet. Having struggled in the past with (rented) wetsuits, this seems like a plausibly good idea.

Does anyone use a bodysuit for this purpose? How does it work out in practice?

Does a bodysuit add any thermal protection (seems unlikely) or interfere with anything?

I use one. It does help in putting the suit on.

I doubt it adds any thermal protection, but it doesn't hurt it.

I use a rash guard top - I don't have any issues with the legs on my 7mm, just the arms. Bonus is when on the SI and you drop the top of the suit, you have sun protection.

A spray bottle with dilute baby shampoo also helps, with or without the under garment.

A Lycra suit definitely makes it easier to don a wetsuit.

Surprisingly it also adds some thermal benefit. Didn't quite believe it myself until I spent some time in the pool wearing just a Lycra wetsuit. When I started taking it off while still in the water, I definitely felt the chill.

I've heard of this, haven't tried it. Figure that's one more thing to rinse.

+1 on the lycra but I think the thermal protection comes from water trapped underneath and within the fabric rather than the fabric itself. I hate neoprene, especially thick neoprene - weight issues, flexability issues. I never wear more than a 3mm even when the water temp is in the low 50's °F (and here it always is, at the second thermocline). I layer one or two polyolefin full body suits (2mm equiv, no buoyancy) and a 3mm vest (minimal buoyancy) as needed. Wearing all of them I've got 7mm equiv arms & legs and 10mm equiv core and only need 12 pounds of lead and have good flexibility. If I could lose my gut I could drop even more lead.

Lycra really helps the suit to slide on/off. Did it for years under a very close fitting (plush lined) WS until i went dry.

I wear UnderArmor long sleeve compression shirt because I don't like the feel of Lycra rashguard. For the bottom, I wear a long compression swim trunk.

However, I wear the top primarily for sunburn protection while topside and the tight swim trunk doesn't bunch up like a regular swim trunk would. I have zero issue sliding in and out of the wetsuit even when it's wet. Custom fit makes a massive difference.

Debbie and I call it a "skin," a full body suit less than half a mil thick. It will definitel add some exposure protection, noticable to the wearer. And as reportedd by others, makes donning and doffing the wetsuit easier. I rarely wear one, but Debbie is an occasional user.
DivemasterDennis

I'm giving my new Henderson lycra skin a try for the 1st time this week and I love it. No jelly stings! I rent a shortie to wear over it which is easy on/off wet or dry. Same with the lycra. The majority of folks I'm seeing here in Bonaire this week are wearing full wetsuits but I haven't felt the need. I stay 60' and above so that may account for not requiring more warmth.

I saw the thread on skins and almost got carried away with a Polyolefin but was able to rein myself in and stick with the lycra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom