Anybody provide their professional opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm trying to gather some money to finally buy some gear. But I'm kinda in the budget side....

I'm thinking about the Zeagle Stiletto w/ octo z:(, Cressi mc9 and the mares mission 2 gauges.

Can anybody provide your own recommendations and opinions for gear on the low price/bettwr quality range. Thanks!

Zeagle BC's are pretty solid and you will probably be happy with it for a while, but they are kinda floppy for my taste. Try a backplate and wing before you buy anything. The best part about the bp/w design is that is will grow with you so you can do small easy 'beginner' dives and hardcore wreck and cave dives. As for the Cressi reg, people do tend to like them, but you may have difficulty finding a tech to service it. Make sure your local shop that sells it to you is going to be around for while or you will be stuck shipping it out to be serviced. For that reason alone I might suggest one of the larger manufacturers, Aqua Lung, Scubapro, etc.

When it comes to buying gear, it can get expensive; but remember that if you go too cheap now you will have to replace the gear again in a few years, but if you spend the extra couple hundred bucks for high quality gear (and care for it) it will last decades.

I second the backplate and wing. Also check different sites for used gear. I have come across some great deals on Craigslist! Just make sure to have it checked out before you use it.

Thanks for the feedback guys! What's the difference when using a bp/w and what's a good one you recommend?

Thanks for the feedback guys! What's the difference when using a bp/w and what's a good one you recommend?

A backplate and wing inflates and deflates just the same as a jacket BCD. The advantages are it is modular and built of different components (so you can mix and match and easily change bits depending on the diving you are doing), it is less cluttered, and the buoyancy is all on your back which helps with your trim.

The disadvantages are there are no pockets (this isn't a problem IMO as you can wear cargo shorts or thigh pockets), they are a little more expensive (but cheaper in the long run as you can just replace the bit that's worn and you don't have to get something different if your diving develops to bigger things).

A backplate is a lump of metal and the harness is a length of webbing with a few D-rings and a clasp. There is little difference in them so get the cheapest. Don't bother with a fancy harness as they are unnecessary - a one piece harness is simpler and better. You'll have to decide whether to get a steel or aluminium backplate. A steel plate is heavier so you can shed some weight from the belt, however, if you fly a lot, aluminium may be better. Also, if you dive in warm water in a thin shortie or even just shorts and a rash vest, steel could overweight you.

For single cylinder diving, I use an Apeks wing and a Frog Midnight for twins. I would recommend a doughnut shaped wing over a horseshoe shape as it allows the gas to move around it more easily.

For bcd backplate is the way to go. you will find that pretty much 80% of scuba board will nudge this idea into you because they work great. I recommend this one in the link with the steel plate. great quality and will later let you move on to more advance diving (doubles etc.) if you so desire. DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

edit here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ORPlMibeQO0

for $380 you'll be saving $$ compared to the Zeagle Stiletto at $599.
triantapackagenewsys.png

As for regs check out the RG3ICE Single Tank Hogarthian Reg Set dive gear express sells for $400. great regulators for the price and will give you the option of Din and Yoke (with included adapter) DGX Regulators by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

you will need a wrist depth gauge tho. or a computer or bottom timer.

If you buy all that gear from different mfr's you now have to find someone authorized to service it all locally. I'd at least try to get the 1st/2nd/Octo from the same manufacturer. The Stiletto you'll likely service much less often and gauge service is usually a couple of o-rings and a spool - they're pretty generic.

I've had both a Stiletto and a Ranger. Both are quality products. I once stuffed a Stiletto into a legal sized carry-on but then I couldn't fit much else.

On a budget you might also look at the Zeagle Wicked Ranger's that LeisurePro.com is closing out. The Lite is a travel version, 32lb wing and the Ziptouch weight system instead of the Ripcord. Also it's a single tank model only. It rolls up pretty small.

The regular Wicked is a standard Ranger in the gray/tribal pattern colors - I'm guessing it didn't sell real well.

Both are discontinued as of last year IIRC. LP is a Zeagle dealer now so the factory warranty applies. Better price on any of them than the Stiletto:

ZEAGLE Wicked LITE Ranger BC with OCTO-Z Alternate Air Source at LeisurePro - $459
Zeagle Wicked Lite Ranger BCD at LeisurePro - $299

Zeagle Wicked Ranger BCD at LeisurePro - $489

If you're mostly diving warm water, the Express Tech Deluxe is an option also. Fully configured they're around $400. It's a minimalist soft backplate - if needed, it will take doubles but will probably be floppy. The standard wing on it is 24#. But it can be fitted with any of the larger Zeagle wings also. Most dealers will give you a credit and do the exchange before shipment.

Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD with Ripcord Weight System at LeisurePro - $459

Zeagle Express also sells them configurable with different options: Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe Kit scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

---------- Post added March 13th, 2014 at 07:51 PM ----------

For bcd backplate is the way to go. you will find that pretty much 80% of scuba board will nudge this idea into you because they work
More like the vocal 20%.

Go to any scuba store. How many BP/W's do you see? How many conventional jacket or back-inflate BCD's do you see? Why is that?

I rest my case...

More like the vocal 20%.

Go to any scuba store. How many BP/W's do you see? How many conventional jacket or back-inflate BCD's do you see? Why is that?

I rest my case...

If you were guessing religous popularity based on who rings your doorbell and explains the wonders of their choice, you would have a very skewed view of reality. It's a lot like that.

If you want to know what's popular, look at what's actually selling and what you see on dive boats.

There's nothing wrong with a BP/W, but it's not actually the answer to any problems aside from "what can I bolt 130 pounds of steel tanks to?"

flots.

I dive a Zeagle Stilleto. You can't really go wrong with them. If you get it, you won't regret it.

To OP

Where are you living and what does your local dive shop sell?

Back
Top Bottom