Young lady would like to be commercial diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a friend who's teenaged daughter would like to become a commercial diver with interest in underwater welding. Before I wade through uncharted waters I thought I would post here and see who here can offer advice about schools in Pensacola Fla area, prerequisites, any thoughts about the demands and reality of the trade.

I will direct her attention to this thread and will also watch it to help with any translation of terms that might be unfamiar to her.

My wife used to work in worker's compensation. She was helping out a commercial diver whose bones had become swiss cheese. I think the female diver was under 40 years old. She didn't even think about the effect of being underwater as much as she was. Make sure she looks into the long term consequences of being a commercial diver.

Neurological long term consequences of deep diving.

Forty commercial saturation divers, mean age 34.9 (range 24-49) years, were examined one to seven years after their last deep dive (190-500 metres of seawater). Four had by then lost their divers' licence because of neurological problems. Twenty seven (68%) had been selected by neurological examination and electroencephalography before the deep dives. The control group consisted of 100 men, mean age 34.0 (range 22-48) years. The divers reported significantly more symptoms from the nervous system. Concentration difficulties and paraesthesia in feet and hands were common. They had more abnormal neurological findings by neurological examination compatible with dysfunction in the lumbar spinal cord or roots. They also had a larger proportion of abnormal electroencephalograms than the controls. The neurological symptoms and findings were highly significantly correlated with exposure to deep diving (depth included), but even more significantly correlated to air and saturation diving and prevalence of decompression sickness. Visual evoked potentials, brainstem auditory evoked potentials, and magnetic resonance imaging of the brain did not show more abnormal findings in the divers. Four (10%) divers had had episodes of cerebral dysfunction during or after the dives; two had had seizures, one had had transitory cerebral ischaemia and one had had transitory global amnesia. It is concluded that deep diving may have a long term effect on the nervous system of the divers.

I have a friend who's teenaged daughter would like to become a commercial diver with interest in underwater welding. Before I wade through uncharted waters I thought I would post here and see who here can offer advice about schools in Pensacola Fla area, prerequisites, any thoughts about the demands and reality of the trade.

I will direct her attention to this thread and will also watch it to help with any translation of terms that might be unfamiar to her.

Tell her to go to the cheapest school she can find, and the only extras even worth considering paying for would be Medic. they usually give you more money for having the cert. when working the oilfield. There is no dive school that is better than any other, no matter what they try to tell you.
As far as bone necrosis and neurological injuries go, it is way overblown.
Hope that helps,
Good luck

A buddy of mine was a commercial diver for ten years and he rotated between deeper sat/oilfield work and shallower harbour/water plant/nuclear plant jobs. He felt that extended his working life considerably. He has no neurological or necrosis issues either.

He was able to take those underwater skills and translate them into another occupation post-commercial diving, and he looks on the time spent underwater quite favourably.

Back
Top Bottom