SPG Location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocoajoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just bought new BP/W and I'm planning to get 40 cu in pony. The preferred location for SPG is clipped to same waist D-ring the (bottom of pony) is clipped to. So, I see a problem there. Thinking of adding another D-ring for SPG but on shoulder below existing D-ring that top of pony will be attached to. Also seems like reading SPG would be easier. Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

It's not necessary Joe, you will be able to easily manage it with just the 2 D-rings you have, one will not interfere with the other...
Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 10.58.09 AM.jpg
When you reach back you won't have difficulty identifying which clip you're unclipping, just practice it a few times, it will come naturally after a half dozen times. I had the same concern too and used to have it on the chest D-ring.

Last edited:
First, there is no problem having both on the same d-ring. Just have the spg above the pony clip....which I assume is 40 cu ft not cu in....if the latter, I wouldn't bother carrying it! If you want to move the spg, consider crossing it over to a right shoulder d-ring.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The preferred location for SPG is clipped to same waist D-ring the (bottom of pony) is clipped to.

:confused: According to whom?

isn't a SPG on a [slung] pony either on a 6" hose (usually tied in a "bent" configuration) or a button (yuck!)..... now, if back mounted.:rofl3:......

I'll chime in as well that it's not hard to learn to distinguish the snap for the SPG from the snap on the slung bottle, especially when the bottle is relatively small, as pony bottles usually are. I've never tried the chest d-ring clipoff of the SPG, so I can't speak to any problems introduced by doing that, but I know the other way works and doesn't cause any trouble.

Jeeze, made all kinda mistakes in my post. Yeah 40 cu ft not cu inch....LOL. And I was referring to the primary SPG not pony SPG. And I meant adding D-ring above existing D-ring. Must be

Although it may be "anti-establishment", I am aware of a few (some high level technical divers/instructors) who clip the spg to the upper left D-ring as it can be seen with just a downward look, even when slinging a bottle on that side. I too like this configuration....

I did "tweak" is somewhat, using a rebreather side ring as the slider and a d-ring trapped on the face. Makes a nice clip point for the bottle, and a d-ring for the SPG.

---------- Post added March 17th, 2014 at 02:54 PM ----------

One of either of these with a d-ring (serves as a slider)

Dive Rite Offset D-Ring - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

End Loop D-Ring - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

or, this using a regular slider

Polygon Ring with Sidecar - Set of 2 - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

Although it may be "anti-establishment", I am aware of a few (some high level technical divers/instructors) who clip the spg to the upper left D-ring as it can be seen with just a downward look, even when slinging a bottle on that side. I too like this configuration....

I did "tweak" is somewhat, using a rebreather side ring as the slider and a d-ring trapped on the face. Makes a nice clip point for the bottle, and a d-ring for the SPG.

End Loop
---------- Post added March 17th, 2014 at 02:54 PM ----------

One of either of these with a d-ring (serves as a slider)

Dive Rite Offset D-Ring - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

End Loop D-Ring - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

or, this using a regular slider

Polygon Ring with Sidecar - Set of 2 - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

End Loop D-Ring looks like it would work good...thanx

I clip spg on the left shoulder d-ring, routed under my arm, inside the snap for the stage. I can monitor gas without unclipping, and easily drop or transfer stages. It is a choice. YMMV
Eric

Back
Top Bottom