integrated weight system on BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strick

Reaction score
I've heard from a few people that it is not good to have weights actually in your BC that has the integrated weight system. Now obviously I don't see a problem or why else why would they make them. My question is prior or after the dive. They mention that carrying the weights in the BC out of the water will wear out the bc weight pockets and eventually rip something out. Has anyone experienced this? :confused:

Hello,

My bc is integrated, the *ONLY* problem i've ever had was leaving the weights at home! The pockets are designed for the weight and shouldn't 'wear out the pockets' It's alot easier to put on and take off the gear and you don't have to worry about the weight belt sliding.

Ed

I also have an integrated weight system on my BC. I have not had a problem personally and have not heard of any where the BC wore out due to the weights.

However, I have heard where some people have had problems when the weight pocket(s) fell out of the BC at depth, which obviously can become quite dangerous.

The weight pockets are indeed designed to hold the weights, but everything will wear out eventually. The less stress placed on anything, the longer it will last. From that standpoint, it's a good idea not to leave weights in the BC any longer than necessary.

OTOH, weights in the BC while setting up the system are a PITA anyway, so I can't imagine anyone wanting to leave them in.

From time to time, I encounter people who need extra assistance exiting the water. They remove their BC in the water then climb the ladder without the weight of the tank. I'm happy to take the BC/tank assembly and lift it onto the boat for them. If they have an integrated weight system, they need to hand their weights up first. Those who forget to hand their weights up separately will be getting help from someone else, or lifting their own system from the water.

DSSW,

WWW™

I also dive with a weight integrated BC but I don't worry too much about carrying the weights in the pockets wearing anything out but me. I like to carry the BC with the weights out just because it is lighter. I usually put my weights in right before going in the water and take them out right after I get out just to make it easier.

Scott

I wore a weight integrated BC with my dry suit . I had to walk about 50 yards to the lake with full dive outfit on-tank, weights,dry suit etc.. It didn't even seem like I was carrying any weight it felt so comfortable. Though I have heard of it happening, I can't imagine how the weights would slip out-I could hardly get them out of the BC when I was trying let alone a random "fall out"

I like em'!

Strick,

I've not heard of weights wearing out the pockets of a weight integrated BC. I suppose it's possible that poor workmanship or a material defect could eventually result in a pocket failure. However, I suspect that would be rare.

However, I HAVE heard of weights coming out of pockets. At depth, as I'm sure you know, such an event could lead to a potentially dangerous uncontrolled ascent.

In several instances with which I'm directly familiar, it was a failure of the fastening device holding the weights in vest, not the pockets being worn out. In one, the velcro fastener closing the weight pocket was fouled with sand and debris preventing many of the hooks and loops from engaging. In another, the fastener, a buckle device, came undone.

Actually, I have more concern that I am going to forget to put the weights in the pockets rather than them falling out!

Warren

I've seen several models of weight intergration BC's lose their weights while underwater resulting in an uncontrolled ascent. I'm not a fan of ditchable weight integration. There are other ways to deal with weighting.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom