I.d.e.a. ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This has likely been asked but unfortunately when you try to search for "idea" you get hundreds of results because the post simply has the word idea in it.

I have a buddy getting ready to take SCUBA lessons for the first time. My 3 children and I have been certified by PADI, however I have never been impressed with the level of training through a PADO OW course. I have dealt with 3 PADI shops now and all seem about the same. I spoke to an I.D.E.A. shop yesterday and they claimed a perfect safety record and that their training was way more hands on and intensive that PADI.

Anyone want to comment?

My opinion only - It is the instructor and your willingness to learn and ask questions. You will only get the basics in OW - it is up to you and your "buddies" to dive, practice and ask questions or do some research - as you practice so you will perform... My 2 cents.

It's all about the instructor...that said if you plan on completing the ow dives elsewhere you may have trouble finding an idea instructor.
This past year we had an idea instructor take a PADI IDC IE to cross over as he could not find work as a idea instructor, he was from Florida and had very limited experience. He struggled with academic and confined water presentations. In water skills were acceptable. He did pass his IE.
what exactly does the OP find lacking in PADI ow course?
Calling a IDEA facility and them telling you " we have a perfect safety record and we are more intensive" are not really saying anything. Exactly how are they more safe and how are they more intensive. What exactly do they do that is so much better than any other agency?
They very we'll be more safe and more intensive, but explain how they are. Is it that the course takes longer? If that is the answer,it is not always a good indication of a good course as it's not how long it takes but what is accomplished in that time.

This has likely been asked but unfortunately when you try to search for "idea" you get hundreds of results because the post simply has the word idea in it.

I have a buddy getting ready to take SCUBA lessons for the first time. My 3 children and I have been certified by PADI, however I have never been impressed with the level of training through a PADO OW course. I have dealt with 3 PADI shops now and all seem about the same. I spoke to an I.D.E.A. shop yesterday and they claimed a perfect safety record and that their training was way more hands on and intensive that PADI.

Anyone want to comment?

It's a diving training agency just like a plethora of others.

One of my dive buddies took the IDEA OW course. He seems to do just fine.

I looked up the standards (which, as with most agencies, are pretty difficult to find). It appears that IDEA requires four classroom/pool sessions, and six open water dives. Our PADI shop has six classroom/pool sessions, but four open water dives (five, if you go for the dry suit option). Whether moving two sessions from pool to open water makes a tremendous difference or not, I don't know.

All agencies set minimum standards, and for most, if the class is taught to minimums, it's not a very good class. If the instructor really wants to create the best diver possible with the class he has, he can do it, but since it requires more skill, more focus and more time from the instructor, many don't bother. There's a thread at the beginning of the New Divers forum about choosing a good dive instructor -- it's really worth reading, and then talking to anyone you're contemplating using and asking some of those questions.

I looked up the standards (which, as with most agencies, are pretty difficult to find). It appears that IDEA requires four classroom/pool sessions, and six open water dives. Our PADI shop has six classroom/pool sessions, but four open water dives (five, if you go for the dry suit option). Whether moving two sessions from pool to open water makes a tremendous difference or not, I don't know.
PADI has 5 modules academic and confined water..a facility can add a session as they like or need to.

{quote TSandM]
All agencies set minimum standards, and for most, if the class is taught to minimums, it's not a very good class. If the instructor really wants to create the best diver possible with the class he has, he can do it, but since it requires more skill, more focus and more time from the instructor, many don't bother. There's a thread at the beginning of the New Divers forum about choosing a good dive instructor -- it's really worth reading, and then talking to anyone you're contemplating using and asking some of those questions.
problem is there are instructors out there that do not teach to "minimum" standards. OW course is designed that if standards are met by following established standards correctly (student can do required skills in a safe repeatable manner) you will have a diver that should be able to execute and plan a dive with their buddy independently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom