Diving the Conestoga in Ice Water Makes for good Visibility!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skippy31

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I managed to get my van stuck while filming this video. It was a windy day and snow drifts got us on the way out.

The Conestoga is max 25 feet deep with the top of boiler sticking out above the surface. A few days before this dive there was still ice from shore to the boiler which was frozen in the ice and most of the wreck was under ice.

Here is the video:

[video=youtube;vjTjSjb20Tw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjTjSjb20Tw[/video]

Thanks. The Ice flows were nice to look at, but a pain in the water. Getting fins on and off with pieces of ice bumping you was not "relaxing". The wind was high that day and breaking up the ice and likely causing the flows.
Funny thing was there was no ice flow before we got in the water and it stopped after we got out. Go figure. Murphy's law I guess.

With doubles and a stage at least we had options should a real problem arise...

Mat.

Too bad the visibility isn't that good all the time.

Lowest temperatures at depth?

Water was 32F top to bottom. I had a pinhole leak in my dryglove so was limited to about 25 mins in water.

Mat.

Ice looked beautiful from below...not so much on exit though!

Does anyone know the conditions at the Prescott Scuba area?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom