Diving Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to get a compass for diving. I have used them in College (Geology Major) and comfortable using them and keeping bearing with them. I have not taken a Nav course but plan to once the weather gets better and the water gets warmer. I was wondering from different people what the benefit of a wrist mount and a retractable one is. I think that a retractable one would possibly fall down into the way versus a wrist mount. I have a wrist mount computer now and I love it and would not have done it any other way. I feel like that the wrist mounted compass would have a benefit over the retractable one that would clip on the BCD.

Any feedback would be great.

I like the Suunto SK7 on a DSS bungee mount for my left wrist. My son recently was certified and I was able to get a second one for a decent price off of ebay for him.

I like having it right there for easy reference at any time. I would not want one on a console, but I could see the argument for having one on a retractor if it was easily accessable and did not dangle.

Last edited:
Wrist-mounted SK7 all the way.

I dive with a wrist one today.

But used a retractor one for many years, look in my signature.
It was pretty handy specially for teaching, very easy to unclip and hand it to a student who did not have a compass. It is also easier to get your bearings since it's in your hand, rather than your arm.
I also did not wanted to have anything on my arms if I was reaching inside holes to get a lobster out :wink:

SK7 on wrist. Bend your elbow and grab the other forearm while pointing and you can take/follow pretty good bearings.

The Suunto is expensive but a very well built model that you won't need to replace/improve upon.

I was leaning towards the wrist mount but have seen people use the console one but wasnt sure about because i have seen them dangle down look like it may affect trim.

If I would go to a wrist mount would a computer with a compass integrated into them what would be the one to lean towards?

I've used one on a retractor. Keeps it tight against me, but I can still pull it out to make a cheek-weld and shoot a bearing.

It becomes much harder with a wrist mount (accuracy degrades as well), and especially with a console mount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom