Maui Dive and Surf in April - Looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha,

Will be heading to Maui for a wedding in April. Of course will take the opportunity to dive and squeeze in some surf sessions.

On previous trip to Maui I dove Molokini, but couldn't do the Backwall as conditions were not good. Also dove Lanai and a night dive at the Black Rock with a fellow scubaboarder.

I was wondering what are your top dive spots in the Island? I guess I should definetely try to dive the Molokini blackwall this time, right? Have anybody been to the site with the hammerheads?

I will be staying in Kaanapali and will probably do another night dive at the Black Rock. Anybody wants to dive with me at the Rock?

What else should I plan to dive?

Surf is also on my mind. Last time I did a quick surf session in Kaanapali but was pretty small. I imagine in April it will be small??? Where can I surf in April where there is not much localism and has a nice mellow wave?

Thanks so much for helping.

Keep in mind that Mala may be difficult as a shore dive with the boat ramp being worked on and the parking lot closed for the next 60 days or so.

I know the Molokai (Hammerhead) charter is best in the summer since you're more likely to see schools of sharks instead of just one or two. Of course nobody can predict, so if you're interested in checking it out, you should.

Having never done Scooter diving, I sure can't speak from experience, but I know Steve just loves going out with Maui Scooter Divers and the owner always posts amazing photos on Facebook. It looks like a lot of fun...it just moves faster than I want to go! Maybe one day we'll have to hook up with them and have him scooter us out to Roger's Reef to poke around. :wink:

I'm not the biggest fan of the backwall since I think there are better sites in S. Maui. We dive with Ed Robinson's and many times our first dive is at Molokini (one of the sides or backwall), then we head back toward shore for a S. Maui site. IMO if you're interested in a backwall dive plan on driving down to Kihei and book a charter with Ed Robinson's, Mike Severns, or Makena Coast charters. If you're looking for an advanced charter, book for Sundays, Tuesdays (3-tank), Wednesdays (with Ed), or Fridays with Ed Robinson's. That's when we dive with them and we almost always are at Molokini for the first dive, and not inside the crater! :wink:

We'll be on Maui in April as well, but we're in Kihei so a bit of a distance from you. We have 2 charters booked and will do nice long shore dives the rest of the time (love those 90 minute dives!). When will you be on island?

Last edited:
Hey DiveMaven, Steve, thanks for the tips. I will be in Maui between April 10 and 16. You just reminded me that Ed dives off Kihei, I will probably not want to make the drive there, specially when my Wife will be waiting with the 7mo old in the hotel ;-)

Thanks

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2014 at 12:49 AM ----------

Hi Guys, happy Friday! I was hoping to get some more recommendations. Anyone?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom