Wetsuit fit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, yet another wetsuit fit question, but since we are all different shapes and sizes, the answer to someone else's question may not be right for me.

I just received a Body Glove Men's 7mm EVX Full Wetsuit. Size: Large. According to the size chart, I should be a Large. I am 6' 1/2" (but have not measured height in a while), and the height range for Large is 5’10″ – 6’0″. The extra half-inch of body height does not seem to be a problem as the legs and inseam on the suit are not too short. As for weight, the range for Large is 180 – 200 lbs., and I am 192 lbs.

Trying on the suit, it feels snug but there is no problem breathing. It's a little constricting in moving my arms but it doesn't seem too bad. I expect a 7 mil wetsuit to be somewhat constricting.

The issue is that, diving in Monterey Bay, I expect to wear a vest of 3 to 5 mil under the suit, and I really don't think the suit with a vest under it would fit (or if it would fit, be comfortable). Getting the back zipper up requires me to put my shoulders back and arch my back.

My fear is that this is not going to work with a vest, but since I've never worn a vest under a wet suit before, I don't know if it is normal to think that a vest won't fit but in fact there's no problem.

There is a an LT size, which is 6’0″ – 6’3″ in height and 185 – 205 lbs. If I return the suit for the LT, does it seem likely that the extra 5 lbs on the sizing chart will make a significant difference? Or would I likely be wasting my time and I should find an LDS with a good selection of wetsuits to try on?

I realize that advising a third party whom you've never seen on wetsuit fit is problematic, but there is a ton of experience on this board, and maybe someone else has had a similar experience and can offer some useful advice.

Dry suit fans: Yes, I know you think I should be diving dry in Monterey Bay, but for a number of reasons, I am not ready to jump into a dry suit. I want to see if I like local diving, and if I wear the wetsuit only 10 times before I go dry, I would have no complaint. On top of that, I could comfortably dive wet in southern California.​

I think it will be hard to give advice on what size to get without actually seeing how the suit fits. Can you just get the vest and try it on? (A 5mm vest sounds quite thick though, never seen anyone using those.)

But when putting your suit on, make sure to pull the sleeves up so that you have enough fabric in your shoulders. It may make it easier to zip up. Since you are at the higher limit for the height, that may mean the suit becomes a bit short on the arms... I had that problem, to have a snug suit, it was short on legs and arms.

The LT is a tall cut which will add length. The vest will challenge the fit in just the opposite direction so going to the T variant will be minimal relief.

As said it's hard to say over the web especially when your perception of wearing 7mm in the first place is lacking experience. Short of getting the vest so you can challenge the fit for real before committing, what happens if you wear 1 or 2 wet T shirts under the suit? That could approximate the extra bulk in the suit.

Arching your back you allow zipping is typical. The zipper may be pulling the suit closed by 1-2 inches. Some of this is just bring it in close to your body and a little is a slight stretch of the suit. The chicken vests are commonly 2-3 mm with heavier hoods and I know mine has a very slight effect on fit.

If you need or want to add more consider a step-in vest which add even more warmth and are out there in multiple thicknesses (Bare). These are worn OVER the full suit.

Pete

When I did my certification dives I 'tried' to put on an large. I couldn't get both arms in. A 1x still didn't work and ended up getting a 2x. When I bought my wetsuit I ended up going with a Neo Sport XSPAN in 2x and it fits good. Some area little loose others little snug (belly). Looking at Neo Sports sizing guide I should be smaller. But the 2x fits me better.

I wear my hooded vest over my wetsuit, not under. I would think it would be very uncomfortable to wear a vest under a properly fitted wetsuit. If you do not have the vest yet, consider a size up on the vest to allow fitment over the wetsuit. As others have stated, the vest portion is typically not very thick, 2mm or so.

I recently purchased my first new wetsuit. On paper I was a Medium for sure. When the Medium came in, I started questioning the fit when I zipped it up. It was tight around the chest and back. Arm movements were a little bit constrained. I didn't know if it was because it was new or what. I tried on the next size larger at a store and my decision was made, I needed the larger size. Trust me, you will not have peace of mind until you try on the next size up.

Since you're right at the upper limit for the L I think you'll be better in a LT since you're closer to the middle of the size range it's made for.

Trying one on before buying is always the way to go, and make sure to try the same suit you intend to buy. Even within a brand different suit models and thicknesses can fit different. I would never buy a wetsuit without trying the exact model on first, but then I'm tall (6'4") and skinny (190#) and few suits fit me well.

Another option for the hood is a step in hooded vest like this: Bare 7 mm Sport Men's Step-In Hooded Vest at LeisurePro that goes on over your suit. No, you do not need to find the same brand as your suit, my suit is an XS scuba and the step in jacket is Seac (LDS's here were very hesitant to sell me a mismatched suit because "that's not the way they are made")

With my 7mm jumpsuit I use both, a 5mm hooded vest when it's not so cold or a 5mm step in when it gets a bit colder and a 2mm (hoodless) vest to put on under that when it's gets cold.

If it's a hooded vest, you can wear it on the outside. It might actually cut back on water intrusion a lot more by sealing the neck area better than if it were under.

I myself prefer that method. When I was living in Monterey, I used a 7mm and 3mm hooded vest with beaver tail. Each was custom altered to my size, and underneath it all I wore a Mysterioso M-tech Fleech T-shirt. Plenty warm as long as the wind was down during the SI; although I tend to have a good cold tolerance.

I just got back from Saba and wore my vest over my wetsuit. There's no way it would've fit under it. Packing the vest was a last-minute decision and I'm glad I thought of it. The vest definitely kept me warmer than just wearing the wetsuit only.

I agree that there is no substitute for trying on "clothes" of any kind before buying, but suits off the rack usually fit me pretty good so I thought I would take a chance with ordering online. Worst comes to worst, I am out some postage.

I tried on the suit again, this time without my T-shirt. It was easier to get on and to zip up. It's not a bad fit, but I have decided to exchange the suit for a larger size. I will talk to the store to figure out what size to go with. What's interesting is that if you search online specifically for "Body Glove wetsuit size chart" it seems almost as if every site has a different size chart! I exaggerate, of course, but I saw at least four different size charts just for this brand.

Once I get the new suit and I feel it fits right, I will try on vests with the suit before I buy a vest.

Thanks for all the comments.

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 11:21 PM ----------

underneath it all I wore a Mysterioso M-tech Fleech T-shirt.

If you were wearing a body suit and a Mysterioso M-tech shirt, what would go closest to your skin, the body suit or the Mysterioso M-tech shirt? I am guessing that it would be the Mysterioso M-tech shirt but my guesses have been wrong before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom