The Elusive Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDean59

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. My son and I have booked dives on three separate occasions to dive on the Spiegel Grove. We haven't made it on the ship yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm still looking forward to the day when we make it on the Elusive Spiegel Grove.

Never had that issue with the grove, but the U-352 played that game with me for 3 years.

So was the dive worth the wait?

I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. My son and I have booked dives on three separate occasions to dive on the Spiegel Grove. We haven't made it on the ship yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm still looking forward to the day when we make it on the Elusive Spiegel Grove.

what exactly happens when you get to the dive boat? they just tell you nope not going there or is there a problem, what happens?

that ship is prone to have some strong currents sometimes. tho plenty of ppl go out to see it tho

what exactly happens when you get to the dive boat? they just tell you nope not going there or is there a problem, what happens?

that ship is prone to have some strong currents sometimes. tho plenty of ppl go out to see it tho

One was upwellings we actually were over the boat and believe me I would not have wanted to go below surface on that day. The next was due to Tropical Storm Debby. The third time was due to Boat mechanical problems. I feel confident that we we make it someday.

I have made it now I think seven times. However, boats in the Keys, especially the larger operations are very conservative and this results from the boat loads of tourist divers with advanced ratings that can barely assemble their gear. It is best to go with a smaller operation or a private boat. I think you are just having the sort of luck I used to have with the Flower Gardens.

IMG_1345_edited-2.jpg

The Spiegal is huge, vast, deep, often if not usually, bad current. Is it worth it, yeah, though I am liking the Vandenburg more now.

N

I've not had much trouble getting down to the Spiegle Grove and have 20 dives on her, my experience had mainly been with Ocean Divers. On a few occasions the mooring ball has been under the water and we have passed on the site, for good reasons. On the other hand, the Duane can really rip, have only made it down 19 times, several times wth great effort.

I thought that only happened on the Oriskany. I never had a problem diving the Spiegel Grove. I am now convinced the Oriskany does not actually exist. It is a myth created by local operations to get you to the area so they can get you on a different dive--the classic bait and switch.

I thought that only happened on the Oriskany. I never had a problem diving the Spiegel Grove. I am now convinced the Oriskany does not actually exist. It is a myth created by local operations to get you to the area so they can get you on a different dive--the classic bait and switch.

No, :wink:, it is there, nearly beyond sport diving limits. The deck is 140 plus feet, the tower is rather interesting, maybe once or twice. More interesting were the schools of fish and a few bull sharks about. It is really too deep for anything other than "technical" diving such or whatever that is. I think I have made seven trips on it also best I recollect. And the current has ripped every time even more so than anything I have been on in the Keys, I mean ripping current.

In order to actually dive the Big O you have to be okay with, oh, let us say, 160 feet give or take.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom