Adjustable harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I really want to switch from using a fixed-length harness to an adjustable one. There are three reasons for this: 1) to make it less of a struggle to get into / out of the harness above water; 2) to be able to get the rig off at the surface when doing drift dives (or any dive where I have to get into a small boat); 3) to make it possible to dump the rig in the event of an emergency.

There are two out there that I know of: Halcyon Cinch-Quick Adjust for $119 and Hollis Elite 2 for $150. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

http://www.halcyon.net/bc/cinch

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/cat...seswings-hollis-elite2harness-p-1968.html?p=3

I intend to keep my existing DSS (Deep Sea Systems) backplate and wing, just switch out the harness.

Thanks,

Bill

UTD has a simple one that fits any BP/w and is easy to install. I think it's about $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you already have a DSS plate, why not just add their Glide adapter to your current harness? It should solve the issues you mentioned without adding more. As for dumping the harness, a Trilobite or pair of EMT shears will do nicely.

The Halcycon Cinch is specific to their plates. If you really want something with a quick-release, I'd go for the Golem Gear G2.

Last edited:
Since you already have a DSS plate, why not just add their Glide adapter to your current harness? It should solve the issues you mentioned without adding more. As for dumping the harness, a Trilobite or pair of EMT shears will do nicely.

+1

The GHA (proprietary to DSS SS plates) is AWESOME!!!!! I have some really messed up shoulders, and it really helps. Both of my plates have it installed.

I've got two DSS sliders that I don't use...Tried them, didn't do what I wanted.....

my guess is (since he has two) is that he thought he could mount one on each side thus making both sides of the harness adjustable for things like switching between extremes in exposure protection. Tobin specifically says to not do this with this product. It relies on the one side being "anchored" to allow you to snug it to you. If two are used, it likely allows the webbing to be dynamic and the plate would likely be unstable.

The GHA is specifically for allowing you to open up one side of the harness to ease getting in/out.

Its quite effective at that. Maybe he will sell you one of his as it's not for him. A word of caution if buying used: there are two models. The improved second generation only has one webbing slot (DSS cut the second slot off, making it function more the way it was intended).

Like to hear the reason j2s didn't find it to his liking...

I have the 2" Fastex quick release/ sliders in my shoulder straps. It makes switches in suit thickness easy and I like releasing the left so I don't risk a snag on my exhaust valve when letting the rig down. The I stitched in some stout plastic D rings as pulls. It brings the functionality of a common BC to the set-up.

I have found that if I stay in the same wetsuit a fixed length would be fine. I now enjoy running the harness looser than I originally desired so donning and doffing is easy enough.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom