Cenote "Tours"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning a cenote dive in PDC in April, and saw this post http://www.scubaboard.com/t47786.html regarding one diver's visit to the cenotes. I am interested in experienced cave divers' opinions on the cenote tours and what is considered safe or unsafe for an AOW diver, and what I should look for and expect from a safe cenote DO.

The cenote dives I've done have been under the supervision of a cave diver shepparding groups of no more than 4. The group follows a line from caven to cavern, sometimes through tighter spaces than many AOW divers have experienced. Some caverns are lit by holes in the roof to the jungle above. Others are completely dark.

Anyone who is NOT comfortable with night dives, is claustrophic or has difficulty maintaining buoyancy, a cenote dive is probably not for you.
Whether you're comfortable with this really depends on your individual experience and variety dives. Experience with night dives and some wreck penetration would be a plus. And bring a couple of reliable lights.

YAK,
I spent 10 days cave diving in the Riveria Maya in November. During my visit, some friends that are AOW divers wanted to try the Cenotes. I went along to observe how a cenote "Tour" was conducted and to reassure my friends that they weren't being put at risk. One of the non-diving wifes thought it would be OK to "allow" her husband to dive the cenotes if I were along. Little does she know....
We went to Hidden Worlds ( www.hiddenworlds.com.mx ) between Akumal and Tulum. We dived Dos Ojos and The Bat Cave. My friends really enjoyed the ride out on the "Buddy Mobile" to the cenote. Their guide was a certified cavern guide. His equipment was configured for cave diving. We never left the cavern zone and my friends thoughly enjoyed the whole experience. Our guide did an excellent job assessing each diver's buoyancy control skills and comfort as the tour progressed. He had over six years experience conducting cenotes "tours". I had to chuckle since it our guide is originally from Palastine, Texas. Even though my friends were focused upon the awe inspiring sights in the cavern zone, I noted that we had always in view of the light. After the tour, my friends realized that they had a exit available at any point during the dive. They thoroughly enjoyed the experience and mentioned how the tour was the highlight of their trip.
Enjoy your trip. If you decide to try the tour,select someone with experience and a good reputation as your guide.
Dive Safe,
Larry

They are well within the ability of any OW diver who has above average buoyancy skills and respects the limit of the cavern zone and sticks with the guide. It was mentioned above, you are always in site of natural light and an exit.

I remember my first Cenote dives in the PDC area, I thought wow, did we head in far, I didn't see any natural light. I guess I was just focused on the awesome beauty of the cave, because now that I have done these caverns hundreds of times, I always see the natural light and realize what constitutes the cavern zone.

Have fun, Cavern diving is safe.

Dennis

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to it. My cenote dives are being arranged though DiveMike, but I don't know which cenotes we'll be in. They all look pretty darn sweet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom