What Reg should I buy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccx2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this has been asked a million times but I don't know how to search the question.
What is a good Reg to buy for warm water diving ,moderately priced, easy to maintain ,breaths good,maybe a little above entry level.
My local shop carries Mares,Ocenic,and I think Hollis but I wouldn't be adverse to buying something they don't carry online or even letting them order it.

My biggest mistake early on ... was going with a brand my LDS didn't service. Of the manufacturers you listed, I would lean toward Hollis, just my opinion. They make very good, budget-friendly regs. Most any decent reg nowadays would serve you well. However, getting them serviced with as little hassle as possible, is always a bonus.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Anything. Literally anything that's for sale is perfectly sufficient for recreational diving. Beyond that it's just personal preference. Mares, Oceanic, and Hollis all make good stuff. Out of those choices I would buy the Hollis 500se, but that's just personal opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you only want those brands, I use a dc3-212 for my single tank setup and really like it. It's on sale for $200 on a lot of sites (that's without the octo or gauges).

As mentioned though, for your diving needs literally anything on the market is suitable. Don't get suckered into paying thousands for something that could cost you 1/3rd that. If you hear "You should really buy this better version, isn't your life worth "xx" dollars more?" then run. Run far, far away.

I don't really think there is a certain brand or model that would be considered "entry level".
All regs have a purpose, it just depends on how and where you'll be diving. If the right reg is picked regardless of price or prestige, the reg will serve it's purpose for as long as needed in that environment.
If I would have known back when I bought my reg set that I really didn't need the fancy model my LDS sold me I could have saved a lot of money. The reg they sold me was overkill for the diving I was doing.

Just for warm water to recreational limits I would recommend the Aqualung Titan. Aqualung is probably the easiest brand to get serviced world wide (even more than Scubapro).
The Titan is the same thing as a Conshelf which is a favorite with the US military.

Along with what Eric posted, look at what regulators the dive shops in your area invest in for their rental fleet. It says a lot about their reliability, ruggedness, and cost-effectiveness. They also know a lot about servicing them.

of the three you listed.....hollis. only because i would not recommend mares (personal choice), and i have no knowledge of oceanic products. supporting the local shop and having them able to do service is a def plus.

if you are only concerned with getting a good product for a good price. do some research for good web sites, keep your eyes open, be patient, and you can usually find top quality regs for entry level prices. just realize that you may have to send them away for servicing.

Hollis, Oceanic and Aeris are all divisions of American Underwater Products. Bob Hollis owns the company. Hollis was supposed to be the more technical line originally when it was first announced at least a few years ago.
even letting them order it.
Unless they're authorized dealers they probably can't...or work on it within warranty restrictions. If you decide on something else, see if Scubatoys.com sells it. All their stuff carries a full mfr's. warranty plus they have a reg service mail-in program starting at $60 + parts. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/regrepair.asp

Ok, thanks for all the replies,I'll see exactly what my local dive shop has of what you all mentioned.
Going on Vacation to Akumal in two weeks and will get in their pool to play with whatever I end up whith, thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom