Gear or training? what makes the diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This may not belong in this particular forum, but it was the best fit I could find. If there is a better forum for such a discussion, feel free to move this thread, IF anyone is even interested in pursuing this discussion.

My post is the result of reading an ongoing debate between members in another SB forum this week, where there was some disagreement about the importance of any particular gear choice, vs the idea that a well trained diver could safely dive almost any reliable, safe choice of dive gear.

My observation is that, barring a vital gear set up specificly needed to do a specialty tech dive, a skilled diver could pretty much dive safely on anything from the old J valve 72 without buoyancy, to the more tech oriented BP/W, and anything in between, with a minor bit of training and skill adjustment.

In other words I feel it is the skills that make the diver, and not the gear that he or she chooses. Gear choice to me follows skill development, and while they are both important, brand new, top of the line gear with all the bells and whistles will never turn a poor diver into even a decent diver, by itself.

I am not trying to start a fight. No one's answer is the wrong answer. It is all opinion, based on each person's experience and knowledge.

I think gear choice is less important than familiarity with one's gear--whatever it may be--and the development of so-called muscle memory in relation to diving with the gear.

Comfort in the water, whether God given or developed over time trumps all. Followed by training, then the gear, if gear is not a critical choice for the dive before you.
Eric

I think they go hand in hand.  Training and skills are what make you a good and proficient diver, but familiar, well configured gear allows you to best take advantage of your skills.  I can still execute a dive with any gear but the ease and comfort I gain from my personal rigs is considerable.

My observation is that, barring a vital gear set up specificly needed to do a specialty tech dive, a skilled diver could pretty much dive safely on anything from the old J valve 72 without buoyancy, to the more tech oriented BP/W, and anything in between, with a minor bit of training and skill adjustment.

This pretty well describes my diving. It does not matter. My choices vary depending on the goals of the dive and personal whimsy and I don't have problems moving from one rig to the other.

I don't think diving is any more dangerous or complex than driving yet you never here of these things in that regard. Can you imagine trying to suggest that everyone should drive one kind of car (standardization), or that you should choose one car at the beginning and only drive that same style all your life (law of primacy), that your selection should be based on the most extreme conditions in case you ever find yourself there (beginning with the end in mind), that you should never switch from stick to column, standard to automatic (muscle memory)... Yet that is what is often suggested in some diving circles.

No. What most intuitively understand is that it is not that hard to move from one equipment configuration to the next once a core competency and familiarization has occurred. People who like to drive can easily and safely move between many forms of vehicles after a short familiarization period yet that concept gets challenged in diving all the time.

I also think there is a divide depending on why you dive.

Some people, like me, see diving as a means to an end. Beyond a wholesome discipline, I don't get too wound up about how or what I dive - I'm there to observe or record and diving just gets me there.

Other see diving as an end unto itself. They dive.. to dive. The means become the purpose becomes the end. Class after class, practice session after practice session.. just to dive better. I suppose refinement and gear selection is much more of a focal point for them.

Last edited:
I think the answer is quite simple. Skills make the diver, but you need good safe equipment and know how to use it well. Training develops skills, but don't forget the experience factor. This is another topic, but experience depends on where you dive. It's OK to get skills and experience in one locale only if that's the only place you ever dive. If you expand, you have to progress reasonably in the new place. All of this stuff is just common sense.

Don't tell my wife, but I have her convinced it's the gear. All my purchases are just making us better and safer divers. Shhhhh.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom