Off-the-beaten-path Maui accomodations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Will be heading to Hawaii in end of August for 12 days with my non-diving wife and two non-diving kids. Five days will be at Marriott Ko Olina villas on Oahu, five will likely be at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua. Looking for two nights in between for more of a small/boutique "old Hawaii" place somewhere on Maui. Ideally situated on/near beach. Saw a listing for Paia Inn which looks kind of cool. Unfortunately they don't have anything to accommodate four of us other than a three-bedroom suite which is too much for us size-wise and, accordingly, dollar-wise as well.

Any other recommendations for similar types of places? More laid back areas of Maui?

Thanks - Ray

Travassa Hana - one of the cottages near the ocean. Double-check allowed ages for children, though.

Travassa Hana - one of the cottages near the ocean. Double-check allowed ages for children, though.

That was on the list, but no kids under 16 (mine are 16 and 10) other than a few "low season" weeks out of the year for the cottages.

Thanks!

Are you trying to stay on the north shore? I can't help much in that area.

There's some old Hawaii style acccommodations in north Kihei if you're not. They're traditional older houses - often without A/C. Most across the street from the beach but a couple are oceanfront. Often they're guest houses with a larger house also on the property - sometimes the owner, sometimes both are rentals. Much less expensive than Paia inn if they're available.

On vrbo.com click on South Maui. Click on Kihei and click Other Properties at the top of the map. Or click North Kihei but some are larger older complexes. In the North Kihei sort options check houses and villas only for a short list without having to wade thru all the condo complex listings. Some have minimum stays longer than you need though.

I was reading once that there's a trolley in that area and you can walk to a couple local shops/restaurants. Sounded very pleasant - like Maui was 35 years ago. That's about the 1st time I was there also.

Since you're considering the Ritz Carlton - what's your price range? One other option you might consider is a couple days over on Lanai at the Four Seasons. Lanai Hotels | Four Seasons Resort Lanai, Hawaii at Manele Bay Ride the ferry over - fun for the kids. Both diving and snorkeling right in the bay there also. Much of Lanai is "old Hawaii".

There's also: www.hotelwailea.com/ but I think it's couples only.

Last edited:
If Lanai is an option, the Four Seasons Lodge is nicer than the Manele Bay Resort, especially in regards to the quality of the food served in their respective main restaurants (go for the tasting menu at the Lodge, which had local Axis deer and some excellent Hudson Valley foie gras on it last time I was there).

If you feel the need for sun, sand, and a proper spa, there's a shuttle down and back. But IMO, the sporting clays course is more fun than the crowded beach :)

We're planning s few days on Lanai, one of our favorite places from way back when the properties there were Rockresorts.

Looking for a sort of laid back "mini vacation" between the stay on Lanai and the visit back to the Ritz Carlton. Not locked in to north shore. Just looking for something out of the way a bit.

Hey Aloha RJP,

I don't know if this would work for you or not but check it out if you have a moment. She has two beautiful condos and manages a few more. Maybe she might be able to hook you up... Tracy's Tropical Treasures in Kihei.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom