Night dives during a new moon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaSSF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We're heading to Curacao in a bit over 4 weeks. It will be a new moon while we're there.

With all the diving I've done, I've never done a night dive. We 'll have several chances to do one on this trip. Is it worthwhile doing a tropical/Carribean night dive when it is that dark?

What's been your experience with night dives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Night dives are some of my favorite dives! Since you will be providing the light the phase of the moon is not vitally important.

I do enjoy a full moon night dive because I often cover or shut off the light, and dive by the moonlight, but I do not worry about the phase of the moon for dive planning.

A night dive allows you to both see some critters you do not often see during the daylight, or see hunting and hiding activities that you see only after dark.

Do your first night dive early in the trip. You will be hooked and end up night diving every subsequent night. Moon phase not an issue. Darker is often better in my opinion.
It is amazing how different the reef looks at night, the coral polyps come out to feed as do all the small predators. Octopus, uncommonly seen in the daytime are prevalent at night and the eels are often free swimming. Doesn't get much better.

Night dives are awesome. Definitely worth doing. The darker the better as the night creatures will come out sooner. You will have a light, so no need to worry about the moon.

For your first night dive I would recommend doing a site that you have already seen during the day that does not present any bouyancy or navigation challenges.

A night dive allows you to both see some critters you do not often see during the daylight, or see hunting and hiding activities that you see only after dark.

What he said

It's called the 'night shift' coming out at night, lots of creatures only come out / hunt at night

I've only done two night dives and loved each dive. They're something special. As everyone has stated, you see different things. I've seen couple octopuses, and a basket star to name a couple. Also had couple of snappers follow us around and saw them eat surgeonfish :D

All the above, especially where it was recommended to try early in your trip as night diving may turn into your favourite - as it is mine by a long shot.

Also, bring a backup light just in case and if there are lots of other divers going out at the same time, matching tank flashers for yourself and your buddy so you can pick each other out in a group.

Just relax and enjoy. Night diving is more peaceful since you can only see what the beam of your light reveals. Not a lot else to distract you.

It was mentioned to do your first night dive on a site you are already familiar with.
I suggested that all night dives be done on sites you have familiarity with. It is both fun to see the changes that night brings, and adds bit of safety because you already have that knowledge with the site's layout.

Back
Top Bottom