What Would You Do if You Looked Up and Saw a Great White Shark?

What would you do if you saw a GWS?

• Suffer a heart attack

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Experience a flooded mask from smiling

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Never dive again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chase after him, hoping for more photos

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Stab dive buddy and make a getaway

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Permanently soil your wetsuit

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw one a couple of weeks ago.....let him know where the drum lines were and hoped he continued heading away from the drumlines....just another shark species.

Reactions: fbk
I'm not sure what I would actually do, but I think I would most likely first scream(out of fear and excitement), drop to the bottom or where I can keep my eyes on the shark while having my back against the bottom or wall, then make sure I'm getting video of the shark and slowly make my way back to shore... I would really hope to get some footage of the encounter on film to show my buddies and family.

I would like to think (2) but (6) is a definite posibility depending on how close. It is probably that I would completely forget that I had my camera in my hand until all there was to see was a tail in the distance.
The mantra the the intergalatical hitchhcker would be echoing through my brain DON'T PANIC!

Depends on the situation of the meeting...

If he was below me, I'd soil myself and/or have a heart attack.
If he was above me, I'd chase after him for good video footage.
If he popped up like he did in your video, I'd have a mini-heart attack and my jaw would drop :D

In that video it seemed he was like what are those shinny things over this way. saw what it was and started to turn. If i saw it below me depending on how it was acting prob nothing. If i rounded a corner and all of a sudden bam there he is and we are face to face then I would have a heart attack and I am sure someone would be writing about it on the board.

... if I looked up and saw a GWS, I'd attempt to take a picture ... if I looked down and saw one, I might get a little worried ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would revert to my super power mode and go invisible!
:D

But as Bob put it if I was below then I would not be as worried. But just the same I think my heart rate would spike pretty good either way. I guess my bigger fear would be getting my butt on the boat pretty quick after I do my safety stop.

Inspired by an encounter in our local California waters.
Great White Shark Edit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Of course the fear of sharks is irrational, but telling yourself that doesn't necessarily override childhood trauma from Jaws. So what would you do?

That shark was probably about 2-2.5m long, I'm guessing. I think I would have signed to my buddy and followed it.

It was interesting to see the seals swimming circles around it. It would be cool to get more video of that.

I did have a pretty intimidating encounter with a large Oceanic Whitetip once while swimming "in the blue" in Egypt. In that case I was pretty happy when we got to the reef and it couldn't circle around us anymore. Wouldn't have any issues following a shark that looked passive and uninterested, though.

R..

As I was spearfishing both times and therefore had some dead or near dead fish on me.I exited stage up in a cautious manner.I've seen GWS,tiger,sandtiger,dusky,sandbar,blacktip,nurse,mako,bull and a few I didn't recognize while spearfishing,mostly I just act with more caution unless they are really big or aggressive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom